Dazed and Confused.

•KANDICE•

We were sitting in Dominic's room, in an awkward silence. I was sitting on his bed, and he was sitting at a desk chair. Every so often, we'd look up and exchange friendly smiles. I looked around his room, and I took a few moments to concentrate on my surroundings. His walls were covered in posters of alternative rock bands, and he had a guitar in a corner near his closet. He had a record player by his desk, and to accompany the record player was a stack of old vinyls that my dad probably would've listened to when I was young.

The silence wasn't inconvenient, though, because I honestly actually enjoyed silence. In fact, I was usually found at my house, in a corner in my bedroom reading a book. Dominic, on the other hand, looked very uncomfortable. Although I had not known him very long, I could tell that he liked noise. He loved to fill rooms with conversation, so for his sake, I broke the serenity.

"So, why me?" I asked, playing with the hem of my skirt.

"Huh?" Dominic replied with a confused expression on his face.

"Well, there's plenty of other girls you could have asked to do this, you know." I said, shrugging my shoulders a little. "I wasn't the only one sitting in that coffee shop."

He smiled a bit. "You just looked so.. I don't know.." He paused for a moment, trying to think of the word he wanted to say. "Peaceful. And you just seem like the kind of girl I would want to marry. I knew my parents would definitely believe it."

I just smiled. He opened his mouth to say something, but was almost immediately cut off by his mother.

"Dominic, dinner!"

Dominic looked at me with a cheeky grin and extended his arm. "Shall we?"

I stifled a laugh and grabbed his arm. "We shall."

~~

Later, Dominic and I sat side by side on one end of the small dinner table, while his parents sat at the other end. My legs were crossed, and Dominic's left hand was on my thigh, which, I eventually pushed his hand away, because it made me a little uncomfortable.

"So, Kandice, were you a fan of Dom's before you got together?" Dominic's mom asked from across the table.

I almost choked on my garlic bread. "What?"

"You know, dear, a fan of his mu-"

"Y'know what, mum? This pizza is delicious." Dominic interrupted, raising his eyebrow.

I looked around, confused. I made direct eye contact with Dominic's mother for a moment, then turned my head to look at Dominic, too. What was going on?

"Thanks, dear. But I ordered it. It's actually quite terrible." His mom said. "The dough is very soggy."

That was something I could definitely agree on. The dough was gross.

"So, how about a family game of monopoly after dinner?" She asked.

My eyes lit up. Monopoly! I loved monopoly. I was always the banker, and I always won. Every time I played, I was the little whee-

"Nah, I think we're just gonna hit the hay tonight." Dominic said, interrupting my thoughts.

I internally groaned. Why didn't he want to play monopoly? It was the best.

His mom just replied with a small "oh", and we ate the rest of dinner in silence.

I offered to help his mother wash the dishes after dinner, but she just told me to go spend time with Dominic. With a slight shrug, I walked over to Dominic before going with him to his bedroom, and it was almost like we were right back where we started. I was sitting on his bed and he was sitting on his desk chair. Once again, awkwardly silent.