Wake up.

•KANDICE•

"I need to go." I said, almost as a whisper, as I dropped my phone onto the floor and rushed over to Dominic's room.

"What? What do you mean you have to go?" Dominic said, following closely behind me.

I just sniffed a bit and started shoving my things back into my bag, as tears stung in my eyes.

"Kandice.." Dominic said and I turned my head to glance at him for only a moment before getting back to packing, not saying a word. "Kandice, you've got to talk to me. What's wrong? Why are you leaving?"

"I have to go," I said quietly and sniffed a bit as I slung my bag over my shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"What the hell did the police officer say to you, Kandice? What is happening?" Dominic said and grabbed my hand to try to stop me.

I could tell that he was truly worried, and that he didn't want me to go, but I really had to leave, and I don't think I had the strength to tell him what was going on.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered and kissed his cheek gently before walking past him to go downstairs.

"Kandice," Dominic said and followed me down the stairs.

I sighed a bit and turned to face him once I reached the bottom of the staircase. "I have to go, Dominic. I'm sorry. I just.. I.."

"Why? What's going on?" He asked and I sniffed a bit more.

"It's.. it's my mom.." My voice broke a little as I spoke that sentence, and tears started running down my cheeks as I took a couple steps closer to Dominic.

"Is she okay?" Dominic asked as he pulled me close and wrapped his arms around me.

"I need to go home.. I'm sorry. I just.. I need to see her." I said and wiped tears from my cheeks as I looked up at him.

"I can go with you if you'd like." He said softly and kissed the top of my head.

"No.. Dominic, you can't do that. You need to stay here and enjoy the rest of the holiday with your family. You need to spend time with them before you leave for tour." I said and he sighed a little.

"I really think I should go with you. I-"

"Spend time with your family while you still can, Dom. You never know when you could lose them." I said and kissed his cheek.

"You're really going now?" Dominic said and I took a deep breath before nodding my head.

"I'm really going now," I repeated. "I have to. I'm sorry. I'll call you."

"Can I at least drive you to the airport?" Dominic asked and I nodded a little.

"Yeah. I'd like that." I said and he nodded some before leading me out to his car.

The whole ride to the airport was completely silent. No talking, no radio, even the engine was pretty quiet. The only sound I seemed to hear was my own breathing. When we got there, finally the silence broke.

"Take care of yourself, K." Dominic said and grabbed my hand as we walked into the airport.

"I'll try." I said and held onto his hand for a moment.

"Good. And don't forget to call me later, alright?" He said and I nodded some.

"I'll call. Don't worry." I said and he smiled a bit.

"Good. Because I just want to make sure you're alright and that you get there safely."

"I know. I promise I'll call."

And I didn't mean to break that promise, but when I got back home, I immediately went to the hospital to go see my mom, and when I saw her in the condition she was in, I lost it. I wound up having a mental breakdown, and I completely forgot to call Dominic.

The day after that, I didn't call. Same with the very next day. Weeks passed and I never called Dominic. Just as the way I had watched my dad die all those years ago, I watched my mom die the very same way. My mom died. And calling Dominic was not really my top priority. In fact, I had completely forgotten I had ever told him I would call. I was a complete mess. I didn't have my dad for years, and now I didn't have my mom either. I was devastated. And I was all alone.