O1

Dear Ahmed,

I may have made many wrong decisions in my life but getting to know you was no denying not one of them. You have always been the type of people that I love to surround myself with because you're filled with so much hopefulness.

You inspire me to not cling onto the judgment of others and that life is all about doing what makes us happy. You taught me to not be afraid in liking something not every person is fond of, and that it is better to stand alone, supporting what you like than to join the wrong crowd.

You were the reason so many people in our grade came out of their closet because of your confidence in admitting your sexual preference. You are a leader; a star guiding lost souls as they find their way in becoming the person they were meant to be. Though you received criticism on the way for being proud of who you are, you never backed out or apologized for being you.

Since primary school, I enjoyed teasing you. But it wasn't for the reasons that others did. I loved teasing you so I could see your smile upon hearing my tease; the most unique smile. A little smile at first but it always ends up being broad, brightening up our class while being only pressed against your rosy cheeks.

You are like an open book, but no one reads in between the lines. You put on a smile and laugh like there's no tomorrow, not caring if your laughter is too loud. But I've looked closer and saw that you're hiding pain in your eyes and melancholy in your mind. Your parents don't understand you. They expect you to be one of those so called 'normal' boys and take charge of the family business and look for a gorgeous Arabic girl coming from a family with equal social rank once you graduate high school. But that's not you want. You want to start working at a low pay job and work your way up all by yourself, because you have the potential to succeed in life without depending on anyone, with a decent boy by your side.

You told the class that you were once caught applying your mom's nail polish and lipstick in her bedroom and your mother threatened to beat you every day until the 'devil' in you gets cleansed and you become just like the other 'normal' boys. I saw how anger boiled in your eyes when you told that story but listen to me, your mother is not a monster. She loves you but her mind belongs to the traditional teachings and she cannot accept the fact that her darling son is different; her son is unique and beautiful. But she is your mother after all, so give her time because where there is love, there is acceptance.

And if even love isn't able to open up her mind then remember that we're here for you. Your very own classmates believe that nobody can choose who to love or not love and that it's up to our hearts to decide. You are one of the kindest people we know and you deserve nothing in this world but love and rights to love. So don't ever give up chasing your prince charming and continue radiating your positivity to those around you, because that's your purpose in this world.