11

The following morning, the buzzing of Laurette's notifications overshadowed the sound of her alarm. She was curious to who would send her a pile of texts on the day of graduation as though she would like to imagine herself as an important figure, it wasn't her graduation so someone must have mistakenly sent her a greeting. When she unlocked her phone, the waterworks began pouring as it was a response mail from all of her classmates.

Dear Laurette Luna,

I've known you for years and it's safe to say that like me, you laugh like you're the only person in this world. Hell you could fill a whole room with your laughter but I know that's not the person you really are. You are a mess, you are an ocean of tears; you are not happy and perhaps that's why you turn to writing; for it gives you the comfort that reality isn't capable of providing you with.

As you write, you are reminded of the beauty of life and obtain the power to make things that you are only able to see in your dreams come to life. You use your words to paint smiles on all of our faces and that makes you one of the greatest friend we have.

- Ahmed Medina

And like me, I know that a boy was the reason you gained passion with words. Neptune broke your heart and you began writing as a way to extend your relationship with him, for in your stories he and you lasted for as long as the universe have existed. But darling, it's his loss. You were ready to make amends with him for you were mature enough to know that the universe didn't propose the two of you to have a fairytale ending, but he alleged flouting you and making your eyes sore with the sight of him and other pretty girls was the way to go. Even then, you desired for him to have the best, even if he thought the best wasn't you, and we think that's what makes you beautiful.

- Camellia Lauren

The silly boys of our class laughs at comments that your body isn't ideal to lust over and that you resemble a plain sheet of writing material, and though you intersect in their laughter, I know just like me, you too were dejected upon hearing malicious remarks from your peers and your smile was forced to create an illusion that words mean nothing to you.

I won't lie; I have been one of those guys too, until their subject of laughter was changed into me. So I could only imagine how brave of a person you are to be constantly told you're not good enough but never stop at trying to prove them wrong. The silly boys think you're not meant to be lust over and I suppose a part of that statement is right because you're a girl of passion and dreams; a girl meant to be loved.

- Dax Amaury

You speak about how much art gratifies you, but little did you know that you too gratify us for you are a masterpiece yourself. You may not have the gift to paint a portrait on a canvas, but as Ahmed has mentioned, you can splatter words of ecstasy onto our grief-stricken façades and according to me, that's more powerful than smearing pigments.

In response to your letter, I did find it as my illumination. I learned that high school relationships are purely childish and that I do not long for a boy who calls me his princess, but rather, a man who would build a whole empire with me. See, you think our class wouldn't be different without you but we think otherwise. For you make us grow into the person our little selves would reverie about and it makes me so happy we worked things out or I would have lost a great friend.

- Harriett Pearl

Being one of your oldest friends since our days of jamming to gummy bear songs, I was able to tell that you were the one behind all the anonymous letters our classmates began receiving. For in all of our letters, you left little traces of yourself. But honey, only if you took your own advices.

I suppose that's why we give advices to people; so they won't make the same mistakes we once did. And I am fulfilled knowing that you grew from a girl who was thirsty for a taste of romance to being the strong independent girl who couldn't care less about impressing the masculine species. I hope I'll learn to not weep over that I can't find my other half, because I'm not a half. You made me grasp the detail that I am whole on my own, so thank you.

- Jairo Prescott

Your appreciation for my amateur makeup looks made my cheeks blush to the hue of my 'hourglass confession ultra slim high intensity lipstick in at night'. Oops sorry, I meant red. Though I am spellbound with the art of makeup and how it is capable to make girls (and boys) feel extra confident and bold, I do admire the datum that you don't need makeup to feel buoyant and speak your mind.

In fact, I think you look just as flawless as the girls I see on the covers of my Vogue collection with your natural features. In the words of our favorite author from our childhood, "A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."

- Violetta Raleigh