19 | jeongguk

December 30
01:48

jeongguk had passed by taehyung's room multiple times during the past week. he never once wondered what it was that he was doing or why his door was always closed as of lately when he walked by. he always had other things on his mind so thoughts of checking up on tae were basically nonexistent.

this time around was no different.

he hadn't even noticed the ajar door when he made his way to his own room until he heard taehyung's soft crying. it was then that he stopped in his tracks and turned to look in that direction, his head cocking to one side as he pursed his lips in curiosity.

standing there for a moment, jeongguk was sure he was just hearing things especially when silence enveloped his surroundings, diminishing any sign that tae was even in his room. but no sooner had the thought crossed his mind another heartbreaking sob was heard.

is taehyung...crying?

no, he couldn't be.

jeongguk shook his head. it had to be something else. maybe he was watching a movie. that had to be it.

but he wasn't purely convinced. he found himself planted beside the open doorway, peering at taehyung's vibrating backside as he sat down on the edge of his bed. the tv's screen blank.

just by looking at the reflection of taehyung's eyes in the window across from him, jeongguk knew something was wrong. he didn't know why exactly until he saw him staring at the gloomy sky, watching the rain roll down the glass pane with so much agony and torment.

mimicking the water droplets, his tears were streaming like rivers down his face, dripping off his jaw and forming a small puddle on his lap where his hands rested. it was then jeongguk noticed a silver chain in his hand. a ridged half heart dangled off the side of his leg.

when he heard the horrid sound of his deep voice cry out, jeongguk had stumbled slightly away from the door in shock. he had never heard such a broken sound escape taehyung's lips.

with that and his violent shaking, jeongguk was tempted to go inside. he took a step towards the cracked door with every intent to wrap his arms around taehyung, gulfing him in warmth, but just as he was reaching for the handle to slip in, the older mumbled something that caused him to freeze.

"...happy birthday to me," he spoke between short and staggered breaths, clasping the half heart in the palm of his hand before creating a fist and bringing it to his chest.