18.

Kobra Kid was happy.

He never wanted to admit it; he'd always been the one who watched over the others and kept them safe, a side effect being that he never showed much emotion. He was awkward when he made physical contact with anyone and was a bit uptight when the others were getting drunk.

But when he was with Mr. Sandman, he finally felt free.

Sure, he could never be closer to anyone than he was to Poison, but that was different. They were brothers, and that's a completely different thing.

But he and Sandman just felt right together.

One night, the Suitehearts came over to the Nest to hang out, so of course, Kobra was ecstatic. He had run to Sandman and embraced him, grateful for any chance he got to do this. They had spent the whole night in each other's arms just talking and catching up on all the time they hadn't spent together.

They were in love, and it was beautiful.

🌩

General Atomic Alien was the happiest she'd ever been.

She and Violent Vendetta had been playing music together a lot. She had easily taken control of the electric guitar years ago, and was now one of the best players in the Zones, Jet Star excepted. Vendetta played the bass dutifully, always keeping up with her solos, which she put all of her efforts into making insane.

One thing that she had always known but swore she'd take to her grave was that before she'd joined the Killjoys, she'd never felt that she fit in anywhere. She was different in a way that people generally didn't like. Sure, she'd had a few friends, but they were rare, and there were periods when she felt utterly alone.

Then she met Vendetta.

She had escaped BLI on her own, but it was him who had given her a purpose. He had supported her as she met new friends, trained to fight, and made her way up to where she was.

She was certain that she'd found the one for her. She was wild and reckless, and couldn't care less about what happened to her. But Vendetta kept her from going too far. He was calm and collected, and it was because of him that she was still alive. They complimented each other beautifully.

The more time Alien spent with Vendetta, the further she fell for him.

🌩

Dr. Benzedrine wasn't as happy as the others. Sure, he enjoyed spending time with his friends, but the life of a medic is woe, because it was his responsibility to worry about the health of his friends.

Any medic that didn't know Horseshoe Crab personally would have suspected that his hyper behavior had a medical cause, but in reality, that was just how he was. Other medics didn't know that, but they couldn't help but worry. Even Jet Star, as skilled as he was, sometimes questioned the other man's behavior.

Benzedrine sang to calm himself; usually songs that Sandman wrote but hadn't figured out a melody for yet. He experimented with them, strumming his guitar along with the lyrics. He really only did this when he could get some time in the studio alone; he hated singing in front of people when the piece wasn't finished.

He also enjoyed talking with Jet. They traded ideas for guitar melodies, taught each other songs, and just rocked out a lot. They worked well together as medics too; whenever they needed to communicate under stress, one always understood the other perfectly. Vendetta was there too, but he was a bit more reserved.

Benzedrine and Jet also seemed to be the only straight ones in their groups, which they regularly laughed about.

🌩