Chapter 6- Roaming in Rome

"Headline?" He asked.

"Swing Set Needs Home," I said.

"Desperately Lonely Swing Set Needs Loving Home,'" he said.              

"Lonely, Vaguely Pedophilic Swing Set Seeks the Butts of Children,'" I said.

I woke up to the whisper of Augustus' name coming from Isaac who looked so innocent asleep next to me as we were desceneding into Rome. Once the plane landed and we disembarked, we headed to our hotel, The Kolbe Hotel, and dropped off the luggage, which was thankfully returned to me upon my arrival here. We had a beautiful dinner on the balcony of our hotel, which overlooked the gardens. The flowers were all in bloom, and the trees were threaded with string lights so I felt like I was looking at floating stars. I was blown away by the simple and natural beauty that the gardens radiated. After our dinner, I headed to the huge hot tub in our room and soaked until I was peacefully drifting in and out of consciousness.

"WAKE UP, SLEEPYHEAD! HAZEL? HAZEL! WAKE UP!!!!" I crawled out of bed at the sound of my mom and Isaac shouting for me.

"Wha...What do yo....you want?" I asked as I stifled a yawn.

"Hurry up and get dressed; we are taking a tour of the colosseum, the pantheon, and Villa Borghese Gardens today," they answered.

The colosseum was amazing! The architecture was beautiful and when we went inside, I could almost sense the deceased near me. It gave me hope that maybe I will see Gus again. The Pantheon was extravagant. It was so detailed and yet so elegant and gorgeous. It was absolutely perfect. The Villa Borghese Gardens were breathtaking. They enveloped Rome in a canopy of green and brought color to a dull world. The fountain fit in beautifully with the scenery and the palace was grand. The palace brought the regal look while the gardens themselves kept it simple. I loved that the gardens made the shape of a heart. I know Gus would have found that ironic seeing as he, the one I love, isn't here.

Over the next few days, we explored Rome and all of its heritage. I found Gus' letter at the Castel Sant' Angelo. The fortress was originally for a mausoleum, but it also was used for the Pope if he needed to hide from something. Gus kept with his pattern and clued me in to the fact that the next piece of the story was hidden at the Trevi Fountain.

On our last day in Italy, we headed to the Trevi Fountain, and with special permission, we splashed throught the fountain looking for the story (and also having a splashing war). I found the story under the main dome, behind the statue in the middle of the fountain. So of course that night, I went to my room and layed down to read.

-

 An Imperial Affliction: the Aftermath

In a way, I suppose the Dutch Tulip Man was right. It's been four months since Anna has passed, and each day it gets the tiniest bit easier to deal with the concept of death, more specifically her death. I've decided to finally go out and truly enjoy myself for the first time in a long time; the Dutchman has booked us reservations at an exceptionally fancy restaurant. I've decided to wear a dark red dress paired with black stilettos, and silver dangling earrings and dark lipstick that matches my dress. I feel like a new person--better, more confident, less mournful. But I know this sudden feeling will only last for this one night.

We arrive at the restaurant and order our meals. While sipping red wine, we engage in light, easy conversation. Our waiter brings us a bread basket, and after looking up at him to thank him, I then look across the table to see the Dutchman is no longer in his seat, but instead kneeling. In front of me. On one knee.

He takes a deep breath and smiles, pulling a small box out of his pocket. "Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

___________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks again @ayeaugustus for writing the piece from An Imperial Affliction. You are literally the best persassy ever!! Also, to my readers who may or may not like this story/chapter thank you for reading, and I am open to comments and suggestions always.