9. New Life

~2 and a half years later~

"Hey Tami, can I get a refill?" The man asks standing in front of me at the register. I nod and grab the coffee pot and pour him another cup. He nods his thanks and goes to sit down back at his table.

Working in this little diner makes me somewhat happy, the people here are half wolves and half human, although they don't know what I am.

Before I came here a year and a half ago, Tami and I spent some time in the forrest figuring out how to mask my scent. After that, I came here, got contact lenses and got a job at the towns diner. Tami suggested that I use her name instead of my own since hers is pretty much unknown to most of the world.

The pack nearby is quite nice actually, I've met a few of the wolves, although they don't know that I know, and it'll stay that way. It's nice to be human again.

"Tami? Your shift is over, go home." My boss, Brittany says waving a hand in front of my face and catching my attention.

"Oh yeah, sorry. I'll see you next week." I say waving as I head to the back. I grab my bag and leave out the back door. I have a little cottage on the edge of town, the opposite side from the pack territory. If I needed to, I could shift at night and no one would know.

Reaching my quaint little home, I smile and walk in the front door. Sighing I flop down on the couch and lay my head backwards and look to the plain ceiling. It's been a long few years since everything happened. I do miss Sven and Alaric and Nathan. But I know if I want to keep them safe, it's better to stay away.

Snapped out of my thoughts, I hear a knock at the door. I take in a deep breath and answer it. Behind it is one of the local wolves who comes to the diner everyday, also my best friend here, David. "What's up David?" I ask motioning him into the house. He looks like he's thinking deeply about something.

"There's something I have to tell you, and I have a feeling you have something to tell me as well." He says looking me dead in the eyes.

"What is it?" I ask trying to hide the fact I know what he's gonna say, I hope he's not going to do it though.

"Tami, if that even is your real name, I know what you are." He answers bluntly.

"And what is that exactly? I'm sorry I don't follow." I lie smoothly, hoping he'll drop it.

He looks at me before he whispers almost too quiet for me to here, if I was human I wouldn't have heard it, "Maybe Alpha was wrong about you." I pretend I don't hear him and wait for him to say something louder that I would hear. "I'm sorry. I don't know what just came over me." He says louder.

"It's fine. Not really sure where you were going with that anyways. But, wanna go out? It's my birthday and I need some fun." I say with a sly smirk.

"It's your birthday?! Girl we are going out, let's go!" He says grabbing my arm and trying to pull me out the door.

I pull my arm from his grasp and giggle at his eagerness, "Slow down tiger, I need to get changed. If I plan on having any fun, I can't be wearing my work clothes." I say gesturing to the plain shirt and jeans I'm wearing. He chuckles and nods. I shake my head and walk to my room.

Walking into my closet, I pull out a burgundy, off the shoulder, knee length dress. It's gorgeous but not slutty. I go into my bathroom and take a quick shower. I dry my hair and put it in loose curls. I put on some mascara and make sure my contacts are still good.

Walking back out, I see David just sitting on the couch and playing on his phone. "Damn girl, if I wasn't tied down I'd be all over you." He says as soon as he looks up.