eight; not today

He decided today to visit her. He realized that this isn't entirely her fault and that she needed guidance. He decided to confess his feelings and possibly help find light for her darkness. He didn't want to get his hopes up in case he were to be rejected, but he also hoped that she would give him a chance.

He knocked on her door and entered. He saw her bed somewhat made, and a small note that lay beside today's lunch.

He slightly began to tear up as he read and immediately he dashed out of the room and ran to the nearest staircase, hoping to find her there. In a distance, he saw her merely by the edge of the step, and  he took of into a sprint. Nearly crashing into a nurse, he managed to squeeze by the janitor and his cart of cleaning supplies. He could see her begin pull back her wheels and push forward. But before she could end everything, he stopped her.

"There's about ten steps on that staircase and they're used to get to places, not to end things."

She turned around in shock, not expecting to find him holding on to the wheelchair's handles. The longer she looked at him, she began to tear up and sob. He pushed her chair over to the side and hugged her. She began to calm down, and he pushed her back to the room. She remained quiet, wondering why the boy she barely spoken to all these years, who began to get closer to her after a couple of weeks, bother to save her from damaging herself. He took her death note and ripped it apart, throwing away the scraps in the trash. She then grew angry at him for stopping her. "Why'd you stop me? Why did you bother? Don't you know how I'm here? I just want to leave!"

He ignored her rants and said, "Ten steps huh? Then I'll give you ten reasons why you shouldn't end your life, starting with this one. If the world feels dark, find a reason to make it bright again."