Part 16

The alarm was extremely loud and people were shouting everywhere. The researchers holding me glanced at each other, confused. That was when the lights cut out. A few seconds later, the backup lights turned on. However, they were yellow and made it hard to see. Plus, the alarm lights were flashing. I squinted my eyes at the harsh lighting. I saw Akihara walk up to us with a furious expression.

"Sir, what's going on?" the one to my left said.

"Somebody's broken in. However, no one can seem to find the intruder." Just then, Akihara's assistant joined us. "Where have you been Ida?"

"I'm sorry, sir. I was trying to find what you asked me to, but someone else had it. Then, the alarm went off and the lights."

"Whatever. We need to get him out of here before-" An explosion rocked the building. We were slammed into the wall and I hit the floor. Groaning, I sat up. My muscles were still a little stiff, but I could move now. The assistant was unconscious after smashing his head. He was still breathing, so I knew he wasn't dead. Another explosion came from the other side of the building. It threw us into the other wall.

"This son of-" A gunshot cut off the scientist. He fell next to me, a wound in his head.

"Idiot!" Akihara screamed at the guards. "It's us!"

"Sorry, sir." One got closer, wielding a pistol. "We can't find the intruder. Whoever it is, is using our own chemicals to create bombs. Then setting them off everywhere. However, this person is careful. They make sure there is a delay on the explosion so they can get out of the area."

Akihara gritted his teeth. "Find the intruder, now!" Suddenly, a figure came flying out of the shadows. It slammed into one of the guards, sending him to the floor. The lighting might be poor, but I got a glimpse of the person. My heart caught in my throat. I'd recognize that blond hair anywhere.

"Haruki!" I exclaimed.

He turned to me and his eyes lit up. "Takahiro! I found you!"

"It's that brat from before," Akihara said. I tried to approach Haruki, but Akihara tugged me back. "One at a time." He whipped a handgun out and shot me in the head. My body shut down and hit the floor. I blacked out, but I wasn't completely gone. Surprisingly, I could still hear everything. And, in only a minute, I opened my eyes. With surprise, I looked around. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I could control my ability. I just didn't know how to before. That's why I was able to heal even without a head. Because I'd wanted to. In fact, I could probably control my healing even if I didn't die.

I stared at the scene before me. All the guards were unconscious. However, Haruki was injured and Akihara had a gun pointed at him. My eyes widened. I couldn't let Haruki die. Akihara might not want to kill anyone, but with all the trouble Haruki had caused, he wouldn't hesitate to pull that trigger. My eyes narrowed as I heard what Akihara was saying.

"You've become a real nuisance. We're doing what's best for the world. For the greater good."

"No, you think you are. But whatever you've been doing isn't for the greater good. It's for Rika, right?"

Akihara's eyes narrowed. "How do you know that?"

"You see, I found out about it all. Let's just say I was determined. I decided to pay her a visit. I'm a friendly person, so I asked the doctor about her condition. Seems she's not doing so well."

Akihara's hand clenched around the handle of the gun. "You...damn you..."

"She was awake when I went in. We had a nice conversation. She's a sweet girl. Apparently, she thinks you're like an angel. What would she say if she knew the truth about what you are? Someone who kidnaps and tortures kids?"

"You wouldn't..." His voice was weak.

Haruki's smirk dropped. "No, I wouldn't. Not unless I had any other choice. I don't want to hurt her by telling her the truth. I'm not like you."

"If you die here, you can't tell anyone anything." Akihara's eyes flashed dangerously. Then, he pulled the trigger. With a speed that was nearly inhuman, I was in front of him. I pushed Haruki aside and the bullet pierced my left shoulder. Both of them stared at me, puzzled.

"What?" Akihara whispered. "But, your recovery time is at least 20 minutes, if not more."

I gazed at him. "That was before I knew how this ability worked. You see, all those times you killed me and tortured me, I learned. While you were getting results, so was I." I pulled my right hand away from my wound. Only, there was nothing but blood there.

"How is this possible? You have to die to heal!"

I smirked. "That's where you're wrong. I could've healed at any time, I just wasn't aware of it. So, my ability automatically took over the job when my body had shut down. But, I can consciously control it as well. Not only can I not die, but I can't be hurt either." I balled my hand into a fist and punched Akihara in the face. His gun dropped from his hand and his nose ran with blood. He fell back and stared up at me in fear. I wasn't going to kill him, but he thought I would. After all, he had a daughter who loved him.

"Just kill me already," Akihara hissed.

"I'm not going to kill you," I replied. "I'm nothing like you. I don't kill people." I drew my foot back and slammed it into Akihara's temple. His eyes rolled back and his body slumped on the floor. I turned to Haruki. "Let's get out of here." He smiled and nodded. We ran down the hallways. I let Haruki lead, because I had no clue about the layout of this place. I'd been confined in the one room the entire time I was here. Footsteps seemed to come from everywhere. Shouts rang out. We were being hunted and we were defenseless. Ahead of us, guards were coming. Quickly, seeing a room to the right, I yanked Haruki in before they saw us. I placed my ear on the door, listening.

"We'll wait in here until they're gone." I kept listening, with my back to Haruki. Suddenly, I felt a weight land on my back, between my shoulder blades. I froze and a sound of shock left my throat. I felt Haruki place his hands next to his head. "H-Haruki?"