cops and robber

"Be still," he breathed in my ear, and let go when I nodded that I got it. His arm stayed around me though and I put mine over it, turning to look at him. His face was calm but his eyes were not.

I squeezed his hand and my heart was in my throat. I couldn't see Evie or anyone else; they must have all dropped too.

We could see through the candy rack as the would-be robber approached the small counter. Gage had his hands up high, but I couldn't see his face through the rack of candy. A shred of lettuce clung to his shaking ring finger and fell.

"Put the fucking money in a bag!" the man shouted, his voice bordering on hysterical. It was an hysteria-inducing situation.

"I will, I am, don't do anything, dude, please," Gage's voice wavered and broke on the last word as his hands came down to the register. "Whatever you need; please just don't hurt anyone here."

Cameron's arm was now holding so tightly I had to shrug him off a little because he was hurting me. We were farthest from the front door. He looked behind us and I followed his line of sight to the black swinging doors that led to the employees only section.

I met his different colored eyes again and shook my head. The doors would visibly move if we went through them. We couldn't draw more attention to ourselves than I already inadvertently had.

That, and I was frozen in place regardless.

Please, God, don't let my big mouth get us killed.

As if summoned by our look, the door parted and Tom the owner stepped through. He wasn't paying attention and called, "All right, kids, don't forget your ribs on a night like--"

He stopped suddenly as he was pushed backward by an invisible hand. He struck the doorjamb just as the report from the gun sounded, his face an almost comical mask of shock, his hand going to his right shoulder where blood began pumping out.

I turned my body into Cam's and we cowered even smaller, clutching each other, trying to be invisible. Stay alive pounded through my veins, two words that meant a lot to us even when our lives weren't being threatened.

An icy cold chill ran up my spine as I waited for the next shot. I knew I would feel it before I heard it, because I'd been there and done that. My head swam with lightheadedness; I felt Cam trying to shield me as I'd once done for him, my fiercely loyal best friend.

The shot didn't come and I raised my head a little in terror to try to see what was happening because I couldn't stand it any longer. I got a peripheral flash of orange and of course it was fucking Freddy playing the hero. Or rather, the fool.

"Hey, asshole, you can't do that," he said as he popped up looming from the toiletries aisle, which Gage was facing.

Without even realizing it I started to rise to stop him but Cam's grip was too strong and I barely got an inch out of my position.

My hand went to my mouth as the thief turned and without hesitation swung the gun in an upward arc from his body, like he was throwing a Frisbee, striking Freddy in the temple.

Our buddy became immediate deadweight and collapsed in a heap. I heard his head smack the floor. I bit my hand hard to keep from screaming.

The doorbell tinkled and two girls came in, looking at each other and laughing. "Hey Gage, is it too late to get--" The one with red hair finally broke away from her friend and saw what was happening. "Oh fuck, oh go back," she tried to push her friend back but the door was already closed and the hooded man was reaching for them, gesturing wildly.

They stumbled toward him, and that was when pink Evie materialized from the Lotto counter, drawn by Freddy's assault.

Cam couldn't hold me for that. I threw him off and was up and yelling something wordless to get the attention on me; I didn't care. I wasn't going to let Evie get hurt.