Broken and Wide Open

(YURI POV)

The bell rang, cutting though my concentration. Jack still wasn't back. Maybe he was just heading straight up to class?

I shut the computer down, then stood up and made my way towards the classroom.

Just before I arrived at my locker, Monika ran up to me. "Yuri!" She gasped. "I can't find Jack! Wasn't he with you?"

"No?" I replied, moving out of the way of other students shoving past. "He...left, for some reason."

Monika groaned. "Well, help me find him!"

I looked around. "It's class time-"

"Ugh! Yuri, come on!" She grabbed my hand and dragged me off the verandah. I gave in and ran after her, shaking my hand free of her grip.

We checked the bathrooms- not inside, obviously, but we called out around them- the teachers all denied seeing him, and eventually the PE teacher yelled at us for not going to class, and gave us the chore of cleaning the sport shed as punishment.

"He probably went to class, Monika." I said, while she struggled to open the door.

"Yeah- there we go!" She slid it up, and walked in."Ugh, it smells!"

"What do you- Monika?"

She ran forward suddenly. "Jack!"

I ran up to where she fell on her knees. He was unconscious?! What happened?

"He's alive, but-"

Jack gasped, sucking a huge breath in. "Oh! M-Moni-ika!" She sat him up against the wall.

I've- Hey, what-

(JUST MONIKA)

"Jack?! Are you okay?" He coughed. "I-am...I-feel a little...uh...faint..." His voice trailed off. I pulled my phone out and shone the light at him. "Oh-! Yuri...he's so pale..." His face looked like a wax statue.

His head lolled to the side. "Yuri!"

She knelt down next to him. "I'm sorry..." She muttered.

"Excuse me?" I gasped as I laid him down flat again.

She startled. "I-! Uh, I wish I believed you."

I smiled bitterly. "Sorry, Jack." She repeated.

"I'm sorry for doing this to you." One of us said.

At that statement, Jack gasped again- sucking the air in like it was his last- and sat up. I quickly angled him so he fell against the wall.

Everything was calm for a second.

Like the eye of-

He gagged and threw up, the dark vomit drenching my dress. I exclaimed loudly. "Jack!"

I looked down to see the damage, but Yuri made a strangled sound. "Monika-"

I stared at it. The vomit.

"That's blood." Yuri said, staring at it. "That's-" she fell silent, still staring-

Just as Jack began to scream.

We had no choice. We had to wait it out, wait until the end of school and in the meanwhile, keep this screaming human from being heard.

And he kept screaming until he lost his voice two hours in.

"It's three." Yuri said, flatly. "I'll go and alert Alex and- uh, tell Miss Dale that we've finished"

I nodded, still holding the writhing boy. He threw up blood more times. I was sure he wouldn't die, though. Something about our programming origins... I knew he'd be okay.

Over the three or so hours- my estimate, as lunch started at a weird time of 11am- Jack did the following:

Lost his voice: 1

Scream silently so heard he actually threw up food: 2

Kick Yuri or me: 26

Bite: 6

Refused food or drink: 31

Actually said words: 3 (not meant to-)

The door opened, followed swiftly by running steps and Alex cursing his head off. He picked up Jack (still silent) and walked out. Yuri helped me up, and together we walked out.

"Are we just going home?" I asked Alex.

"No, we'll have to wait it out here. Everyone else has left, except the office staff, and the office is across the field. We're fine- woah! Hey, buddy!"

Jack gasped yet again and tried to sit up.

Didn't work very well in Alex's arms.

"Wha- Hey! Put me down!" He punched Alex's shoulder hard enough to make Alex lose his grip for a second. Jack twisted out, and stood up. "Jeez..."

Yuri ran forward and hugged him. "What?! Uh...hey, Yuri..." she pulled away, and turned to Alex. "Let's just go."

Jack looked terrified the second he realised what had happened. He'd essentially gone crazy.

Yuri had gone to the shops, taking with her the money Alex's aunt had dropped off. And a map.

"What happened before Monika came along, Jack?" Alex asked him.

He shook his head. "I don't know. It's all black."

Alex sighed. "Just like the first time."

Jack looked away.

I shook my head at Alex.

"Okay. Well, just be careful, mate. It-"

"I'm going to bed." Jack said, briefly. "I'm not hungry."

(X͋X̚X̵X̼X̿XͭX᷿X͏X̃ POV)

Delete.

One thing I'm good at.

Practise makes perfect, after all.

What else am I good at?

Hahaha...I'll write that soon.

End Act II