Richey Manic and Brian May Queen

"Good Morning, Rich."

"Good morning... Martin?"

"Yes, it's me. Did I wake you up?"

"Not really, I've been up early."

"Good, listen, I have news..."

"Hm?"

"This guy called... You know him. Brian May from Queen."

"Is this the beginning of a joke?"

"No, listen. Brian May from Queen called me. He said he read about your situation in the press and he wants to help with guitar lessons, now it really sounds like the beginning of a joke. I told him I should talk to you first... Firstly, so that you'll know no one's pulling your chain. Secondly... Do you want to do it? You know you can say no. You don't have to agree to this, you don't have to learn guitar at all, or you can continue practising with James; And it's still all up to you about your future in the band. We'll keep running everything through you first," he says gently.

"Um, yeah..." Richey replies with a dry mouth, only pausing to think after he says the words. "Sure, yeah."

"Yeah? Alright, good. I'll contact him with your info."

"Alright."

"Rich?"

"What?"

"Don't give him a hard time, aye? he really sounds like he means it."

"I won't."

"I wasn't even sure if you like Queen."

"I d'no. They were a cut above the rest on Live Aid."

"Exactly. You'll keep me updated?"

"Of course."

"Alright, cheers."

"Bye. Thanks, Martin."

Richey was anxious about talking to Brian, so much that it made his stomach flip. He was scared at the prospect of getting the call. The more minutes passed and there was no call, though, those thoughts started drifting and he was easing up to the idea.

A short while had passed, and the phone rang again. Brian May got on the line with Richey and asked after him, then talked softly over the suggestion to give him guitar lessons. The lessons were agreed over, and all Brian had to do was time his arrival with Richey.

A few mornings after, Richey was expecting Brian. He had all the time to bail out, and on that morning he seriously considered hiding under the table from his visitor, but then decided to do the right thing.

Brian showed up at Richey's doorstep, carrying notebooks and a guitar case.

Richey welcomed him in, and helped him carry his belongings. He poured them tea and they chatted for a while. There seemed to be a sense of affection from the way they were smiling and looking at each other.

Brian looked at Richey, pausing to think and asking through dry lips, "Ready to pick up your guitar?"

"Do we have to?" Richey asked, examining something invisible above his own head.

"Well..." Brian began replying seriously.

Richey sighed, in his mind answering his own rhetorical question.

"We don't have to," Brian said tentatively, waiting to see how Richey would respond to this.

"But I suppose it's the whole point of this." Richey said firmly, picking his guitar from the sofa.

"Fine," Brian agreed, a small smile creeping over his lips.