❣ 1. First Impressions ❣

• Dedicated to Juwaria Asma

1 - Pilot

Kriya

I stood in the garden, looking up at the night sky. I sighed. The stars were my love. Even without having to say anything, they seemed to understand my deepest thoughts, feelings, and pain. Very rarely, they would connect with my happiness, for it was indeed rare when I would feel happiness. Knowing it was getting late, I decided it was time I head back towards my room.

Turning around, I looked at my house. So to say, it was grand. Parents really had worked to build the empire they had. My family involved of only four people: my mom, my dad, my sister and myself. I was the younger sibling. Tomorrow, I would turn fifteen. Something I really wasn’t looking forward to. The day of my eleventh birthday, we had left my birth place, London, and shifted to Canada as dad felt he needed to focus on business here more than in UK. Ofcourse, I had no say. Which did mean I’ve lived in Canada only for four years.

Sometimes, I wished my parents would be around home more than they are. My sister doesn’t really like having me around. I still do not know why she doesn’t like me. I can’t recall what I’ve done to her to make her hate me so much. I’ve gotten used to being by myself, however. As I was about to turn the corner, I saw him. Our guest. Father’s best friends’ son.

“Are you lost?” I asked him.

“No I’m fine,” He looked at me and answered. He looked me from up to bottom and I knew he was judging me. Not that I cared. I knew he was lying. If he was in this part of this house, he was surely lost. No rooms, except for mines, were open on this side.

“Joseph.” I called for the servant when I saw him exiting my room. I assume he had gone in to leave a bottle of water. I usually ended up waking up in the middle of the night feeling thirsty.

“Yes dear?” He walked towards us. Seeing him with me, the softness on his face disappeared. “Little one, you’re supposed to be tucked in bed already. Are you forgetting it’s a school night?”

He often called me ‘little one’. He’d grown an affection to me & I to him. He looked after me like his own sister. I smiled gently, silently asking him to relax. “I know,” I responded. It didn’t refer to me knowing about it being a school night, it referred to me letting him know that I knew why he wasn’t happy seeing me with him. I had been specifically told by my father to stay away from him. “I think he is lost. Can you please show him to his room?”

He seemed to understand my reason. “Ofcourse, little one. Off you go now. Sweet dreams.”

I took his hand in mines, asking him not to be mean towards our guest. I very well knew he could act overly protective when it came to me. “Good night, Joseph.”

Entering my room and shutting the door behind, I finally let out the breath I was holding in. After knowing what I did about him, I was beyond scared to be in front of him. Ever since I’d heard he’d be living with us, I had prayed I wouldn’t have to see him. Ever. Now that it had ended up happening, the first night itself, I prayed.