❣ 8. Boys & Chances ❣

Reyansh

It was after college. Kriya had to stay back for soccer practice. Swayam sat on the bleachers with his iPad doing his work, I guess. What do I care? I just hate that he is here… keeping Kriya’s attention, not giving me a chance to talk to her.

The other day, I had heard her say ‘I love you’ while she entered the library and I was on my way out. Needless to say, my mood was sour. I was beyond jealous, for some reason. I knew I had no right to be. We weren’t even friends, were we? Still, I couldn’t help that stupid feelings of jealousy overtake me. Not wanting to sound clingy or irritate her further, I had just left. I didn’t mean to bump into her shoulder. When I had heard her wince, I immediately regretted it. Whatever ping of jealousy that had overcome me, left me instantly. I realized she could be just talking to anyone. People usually said those words to family, best friends, siblings, right? It didn't have to mean anything.

I couldn’t see her hurt. With guilt hounding me, I couldn’t even go back to apologize to her. And now, today, when I had made up my mind to talk to her, try and be her friend, get to know her, apologize, I couldn’t get a moment alone with her!

Whoever this Swayam dude was, I was started to really hate him. He was coming in between the two of us. He didn’t leave her alone for a second! And… I can’t believe I am accepting this, but I feel angered further seeing that Kriya didn’t mind; seeing that she was okay with it and actually did like his company. That fact was only infuriating me further every passing second. She hung out with Shane... and that never bothered me. Then why now?

Coach snapped at me, yelling at me to focus on the game. “Keep your head in the game, Singhania.” He chided.

I shook my head, shrugging my feelings aside and get back in the game. The girls were having their practice at the other end of the football field. I had to peel my eyes away to stop myself from getting distracted by watching Kriya playing soccer.

A good half hour later, the couch announced we were having a boys vs. girls to “learn” from the other team and better our game and techniques. I didn’t see how it would be beneficial. Boys played much rougher than girls did. We could also be counted under ‘faster’ at speed than the girls. How did he expect a fair game?

Oh well… I’d get to play against Kriya. I immediately felt happy. Maybe I’d be able to talk to her now.

Kriya received one nasty blow and kicked it. Unintentionally, the stitches ripped open and blood instantly started to flow out. Was she so into playing that she did not feel anything?!

Swayam looked up now and then to only see her face and thus he failed to notice the blood spots on the back of her shirt. On top, the red jersey she wore did not help the case. I, however, had noticed. I tried telling her but either my team mates or the coach would pull me away each time. I wasn't focused on the game anymore.

When our coaches called it a day, apparently impressed, we proceeded towards the locker room. Swayam noticed her leave but stayed there. I'm guessing he was going to wait for her to come out? Ugh, why am I paying so much attention to what he does? I’ve got to get a hang of myself. I need to have my focus on Kriya, not him!