❣ 12. 3 T's: Truth, Trust & Treachery ❣

Swayam

I did not know why, but Kriya brought out the good in me that I always kept hidden from prying eyes of others. I hated showing myself as vulnerable, which only led to one reputation of mine that I purposefully built. It was surprising to see how easily she was able to see right through my act from day 1 itself.

Ever since that day, whether Kriya wanted it or not, I would always ‘steal’ her books and hence force her into walking her to her classes. It was an everyday routine now. After about a week or so, she gave up on pretending to be mad at me until eventually, I no longer had to use books as an excuse. She’d wait for me as she got to school.

The only person not liking this growing friendship was Sharon. She’d think of numerous methods to trouble Kriya. I’d always be on the lookout for trouble whenever Sharon was around, and even if I wasn’t around Kriya, I made sure she was alright. None of her attempts becoming successful was making her dangerous, and that is one day I didn’t foresee. Until finally, she took the step of putting up a pretense and ‘accidentally’ having Gautam find us together.

Kriya was trying to solve a math problem, but was having difficulty. I was going to my room, but then thought of visiting Kriya. “Hey!” I greeted her when I reached her room.

“Hi...” She replied, not exactly looking up. I welcomed myself in, after a few seconds had passed and she spoke nothing more.

“What is it?” I asked looking over her shoulder and at her books.

“This thing!” She responded at the brink of frustration. “Why does math have to be so hard?!”

I chuckled, “You’re just exaggerating. Let me see.” I spotted the problem right away. “Kriya, how old are you?”

“Excuse me?” She felt offended.

“No, really. I’m sure you had learnt your multiplication tables in elementary school?”

“What are you talking about?” She asked me to get to the point. “Ofcourse I know my tables!”

“Do you, now?” I challenged, then pointed at the wrong multiplication step. “6 times 9 is 54, not 56.”

She saw it too then and indeed felt beyond silly for making such a simple mistake. “You’ve got to be kidding me!” She muttered as she scribbled the changes. I shook his head, took her hand and put a cross mark over the problem.

“Why don’t you just start over? You’ll be able to follow the steps better, without all the scribbles.”

It least mattered to Kriya, but knowing me and how I liked my work to be on top notch, she found it best to not argue and just start over in the clean area underneath.