❣ 7. Side-affects of Love ❣

Reyansh

The college nurse sprayed the pain-relief ointment and wrapped a bandage strip around Kriya’s ankle. "Had you hurt yourself on your heel recently?" She questioned noticing a scar.

"I might have slipped before too."

"Be careful with your body honey." She warned her. “If you remain reckless like this, it can leave some nasty scars.”

It struck me then. Yesterday, she had told us it was a thorn. Today she was saying she slipped. The phone rang and the nurse left to answer it. I moved in closer to whisper. "Why'd you lie?"

"What?" She asked but we were interrupted by the nurse.

"I need to get going. Both of you, back to class. No skipping." We nodded. Once alone, I resumed the conversation.

"Never mind that. I should know you never tell the truth by now. Let's go." I helped her down. Then stopped for a brief second. "Is it okay if I, for my self-peace, make sure your wound is stitched?"

She sighed. What was it between us? I didn't believe her. She didn't believe me. The feeling was mutual. Yet, I was concerned about her. There seemed to be an invisible string pulling us to each other. We were the puppets in this life's mysterious games.

"Pull the curtains over?" She asked me and I stepped in the same side as her before pulling it over. I was surprised she was agreeing to this. I was sure minutes ago, she had made it clear she was least bothered whether I believed her or not. She slowly moved her scarf and removed the jacket. Then she turned, dropping her hands by her side. "It hurts. You can pull the zip down."

One minute we were fighting, hating each other's guts. The next, we trusted each other. I could feel she wasn't comfortable but yet, she was allowing me to look for myself. I felt her back, the area where the wound was, from top of her dress. I thought if she was allowing me to check, then she must have gone to the doctor. I just couldn't be satisfied with the assumption though. She could be giving in, thinking I would believe and let it go. For it made no sense to me.

I slowly pulled the zip down to be shocked. She wasn't lying. I pulled it back up and wrapped the jacket around her. "How?" My eyes seemed to be questioning.

"Like I told you, I did go to a doctor. Now don't ask who." She gave me a taunting look of should-have-trusted-my-word before opening the curtain and leaving, limping but trying to show it as low as possible.

What is it that you're hiding?

××××××××××××

Taani

I saw Kriya coming out of the medical room. "Hey, what happened?" I asked seeing her limp.

"Just a sprained ankle." Kriya replied with a comforting smile.

"Feel better." Kriya started to walk around me when I spoke up again. "Listen, I'm sorry I couldn't make it yesterday. I would have if I could."