❣ 2. An Unseen Change ❣

2. An Unseen Change

Reyansh

"You look Indian today!" Shane said, trying to tease me.

"Oh please, there is no ‘Indian’ in me." I denied the fact, trying to hold my anger in.

"Regardless of how much you despise your mother, you can't deny this fact. It'll always be in your blood, Rey." My mother was Indian but dad was white-Canadian.

"It's Roy." I spoke sternly, eyes cold. "And I thought we were going to a party. Not this!" I held out the stroll draped around my neck.

"It is a party.” When I gave him a glare, he added,” For us anyway. Why in such an off mood? Where's Taani?"

I knew he was changing the subject. Neither was I going to prick at it further. I gave a brief response, "She's not coming."

"If I may ask, why not?"

"You may not ask." I grabbed the car keys. "Let's get this night over with."

Shane sighed and controlled his eyes from giving a roll. I'm sure he could tell we'd fought guessing from my foul mood. Again. I was with Taani since we first met in high school, freshman year. It was almost seven years now. But ever since Kriya entered our lives, it had been an issue.

Taani and Kriya didn't converse much, just passed friendly glances. They weren't friends, but neither were they each other's enemies. For all it mattered, Kriya was completely oblivious to it all. And despite Taani knowing Kriya wasn't her competition, she'd always feel insecure about the way I would look at her. I couldn't convince her otherwise. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get me to accept anything nor could she herself let go.

××××××××××××

Kriya

I checked Shane’s message and my face brightened. "Outside." I pulled Hannah and Caroline out with me to receive them. They couldn't have gotten in without their pass, which I had. "Someone's looking hot & sexy!" Shane wooed seeing us three. I rolled my eyes and slapped him lightly across his chest. He always joked around.

It didn't bother me if he passed comments as such, as long as it wasn’t in front of elders. "I don't want to hear anything inside, got it?" I handed him his pass and turned to Rey to give him his. Seeing him in an Indian outfit made me realize; he in reality was half-Indian. He denied the fact so much that no one remembered anymore. He took the pass from me with such intensity in his eyes that it made me uncomfortable, for a split second.

"Where's Taani?" I asked holding out her pass.

"Uh…yea, sorry. She couldn't come. Family stuff." Roy informed and looking him into his eyes, I could tell he was hiding something. I just had that ability to tell the truth from lies. Wasn't hard not to. I shrugged within. What do I care? Not like we're BFF's who'd share everything with each other.