Mental Doubts

He looked hurt. Hermione could see the pain in his eyes. She felt her jaw drop, only a little, but enough for him to notice her astonishment. There were no words, from either of them, just a moment of silence. It felt like hours, they both thought, in fact it was just a matter of seconds. Hermione let go of George’s hand, stepping slowly towards Draco. He shook his head no, mouthing the painful words “Leave”. They were harsh, but Draco couldn’t get her in danger, not again. She ignored him, her feet finding the cold, cobble steps. She wasn’t going to stop, she needed to touch him, to speak to him, to be sure he was real. His eyes pleaded with her. “No” He mouthed “Please”. She didn’t react, she just continued. Draco shook his head “I’m sorry” He whispered.  Hermione stopped as she saw him draw out his wand. He couldn’t hurt her anymore, he just couldn’t let his mother or any of the deatheaters see her.

“Expeli-“ He stopped himself, changing his aim  from her to a nearby wall “Reducto”. The wall blew up, pieces of gravel and brick spiralling in the air. He couldn’t see her, but he heard her scream. He stepped towards her, but stopped himself. He shook his head and apparated quickly back to the Manor.

She opened her eyes. “Hermione?” George said shaking her, repeatedly. She fluttered her eyelashes, grains of sand and cement had covered her from head to toe. Hermione exhaled heavily, sitting up, carefully. There was a crowd around her, many were cursing as their shops had been blown to shreds, but some were yelling spells to move the large boulders .

“What happened?” Hermione coughed.

George rubbed her back “We were window shopping, then I turned around and you were gone”.

Hermione looked up at him “Gone?”.

“Yeah don’t you remember?”

Hermione rubbed her head “No”.  George sighed “Well you were down, what was, an alley way”. Hermione looked where George was pointing “Then BOOM!”. Hermione jumped as George clapped his hands. She gathered herself to her feet. “Come on, lets go home” George said “Mum will sort out your arm”. Hermione looked down to her left arm. She gasped. Her wrist was purple and swollen. Blood was pouring from her collar bone. How could she have not noticed? She looked at the alley, she gasped as she saw a small glimmer of blond disappear. “Draco” She whispered.

“What was that hun?” George said. “Nothing” She lied “Just nothing”.  She felt her eyebrows furrow. Hermione replayed everything in her head, until she finally put it together. He was there, she could remember.

Once home, Molly ran to Hermione “Arthur got a call from Hagrid, he heard something had happened down Diagon Alley and that you were involved!” Molly rushed “I couldn’t believe it!”.  After Molly had sat Hermione down, she made George get a shower, he wasn’t hurt, but he was covered in dust. Hermione winced as Molly pulled ounces of glass from her collarbone. “I’m sorry to say, you’ve broken your wrist!” Molly sighed “Probably from the fall. I have some remedies, and then you will have to suffer a sling!” Molly smiled. She got up, rushing around the house for her herbs.

“I saw him” Hermione said, not much louder from a whisper. Molly froze, looking up from the plants “Sorry, what was that, didn’t catch it?” She lied, turning around.