Chapter One

"Sammy? Dean? Are we going to always be friends?"

Starla shot upright in her cotton ball bed, sweat dripping down her face and making her old tan shirt cling to her skin. Her heart ached, and slowly she stood, keeping her head low to avoid hitting the low beams. Her short brown hair was sticking to her face, and she would love a bath, but the last time she tried to take one she was almost caught by a human. One that she didn't know. 

And being a Borrower, she knew very few humans. Only two in fact. Sam and Dean Winchester. She met them ten years ago when their dad was on a hunting trip here in Medford, Tennesee. But she hasn't seen them since, and wonders if she ever will again. 

It was days like these, when she could hear silence in the room outside these walls that she could go out and just wander, instead of being cooped up inside of this room. It had to be close to midnight. The room outside was dark and frightening. For all she knew, a rat could be running around out there.

So with a deep breath, she stepped out into the open and began to decide what she wanted to do. 

Now she sat, staring out a window at the flashing motel sign. Silent tears running down her face as she watched pictures trail through her mind. The giant boys befriending her, getting her some actual food, and even taking her outside so she could actually see what it was like. She didn't even have a name, so they gave her one. Starla.

As she continued to remember, figures moved through the dark outside and the brown-haired girl yelped and scurried as fast as she could for cover. But it was no use. This was the last room, meaning that whoever it was would be coming inside. And sure enough, the door was swung open and all she could do was push her back into the side of the window and pray to not be seen.

"Sam this place a dump. I don't know why you picked it." One figure mumbled as light filled the room from the outside and the single light bulb that was practically glued to the ceiling.

The other figure had long hair, and at first, she thought it was a girl until it spoke. "Dean, come on man. You don't remember?" His voice had a curious tone to it, and she could see the man's head hanging low, looking around the floor. 

"Remember what?" The shorter male responded in an annoyed fashion. 

The second figure, Sam, was silent now. Starla could see that he seemed to be thinking, but then her heart leaped into her throat. Sam and Dean. She recognized them. Their names, their faces. The realization hit her like a ton of bricks. But Dean didn't remember her. The boy who even let her ride on his shoulder when they took her outside. Now that stung, and she felt like crying again. But how could she blame him for forgetting a worthless four-inch tall girl?

"Wait whoa, Sam. Look at the window." Dean spoke up and Starla froze in her place, unable to move now. Fear overtook every muscle. If they didn't remember, what would they do to her?

Now Sam turned around, spotting the borrower and he felt his heart twist in both sympathy and relief. He remembered her. But how could Dean not? She didn't look like the young girl they left. She looked only a little bit taller, her skin paler, and form thinner. She looked almost sickly. "Starla." He breathed her name softly, approaching the borrower who's limbs clearly tensed as he neared.

"Starla?" Dean mumbled questioningly as his eyes scanned the teen resting on the windowsill. Then it all came flooding back, like a door somewhere in his mind had just been unlocked. "Starla! That-That kid we had to leave behind! That's why you picked this place isn't it Sammy?!"

"Yes, yes," Sam mumbled in response, more focused on Starla as his fingers very delicately lifted her from the windowsill, only to worry as the tiny girl burst into tears and quiet sobs.

"Y-You didn't forget?" Starla choked out, gripping the large fingers holding her in place. "I-I thought..."

"Kid how could we forget?" Dean interrupted as he walked to his brother, looking down at the four-inch-tall girl. "We named you for crying out loud. We busted our asses keeping our dad from seeing you." He broke into a toothy grin, although he and Sam both were struggling back emotions as well.

What Dean never mentioned was that as he, John, and Sam were speeding off in the Impala, he looked back and could see her standing in the window, watching them drive away without even saying a word to her. And this haunted him, so he refused to think it ever happened and pushed it far back in his head. He decided to mention this later, even though he had a feeling Sam might get mad at him.

"I-I'm so glad...I-I saw you all drive off, and you didn't even say goodbye." Starla looked up at the familiar faces, blinking tears out of her eyes and resting both of her small hands on Sam's thumb.

"Well that won't happen again," Sam mumbled, carefully lowering the teen into his open palm rather than holding her in a fist. "This time, if anything, you'll be leaving with us."

Starla nodded her head and sat down in the warm hand, managing a meek smile at smiling faces above her. "Th-Thank you both. Thank you so much."