Chapter Twenty-eight

Starla sat on her parent's coffee table, drinking water from a thimble she was given by her mother. Sam and Dean sat off to one side, the couple to the other as they all talked and worked out possible issues with Starla going with the boys.

"I just don't get why you have her back, and you're giving up the opportunity to keep her around," Dean stated, his tone sharp and angry but he somehow kept his voice quiet.

Grace clasped her hands together with a frown. The older woman was clearly nervous about the gruffer male despite how welcoming she'd been before. "I already said we're not able to handle her like this. We wouldn't know what to do, you've known her like this longer, you obviously have her heart. We're only memories she's still remaining. She's safer with you."

Sam spoke up, his own tone calmer than his elder sibling. "She'll get them all back eventually, and while it's great you're thinking about her wellbeing, why-"

Keith interrupted, speaking for his wife now. "Boys, let me explain what she's having trouble saying. If what all you said before is true, about vampires and monsters and such, that means she's in danger since you two care about her. The two of you know how to handle those beasts. We don't. If something were to come for her..." he trailed off momentarily, his fingers caressing his 'little' girl's face, "we could lose her again, permanently this time."

Starla finally fully understood, her tiny hands reaching up to grasp the finger on the side of her face. They were sending her with the brothers because she'd be less likely to die with them. Tears glistened in her blue eyes, but she didn't know if they were from the pain she felt in her heart or the touching feeling from the way they still loved her after all these years.

Sam and Dean both shared a look, the two of them at last understanding what the older couple was saying. "They're right, Dean. She is safer with is, even if we don't think it's better for her to come with us. She should be with her parents, but imagine having your kid back only to lose them again because you couldn't save them."

Hesitantly, Dean gave a short nod of his head and looked to Starla. "I guess you're stuck with us for a while longer, kid," he murmured, brows furrowing as he allowed what was happening to sink in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

They stayed with the couple for another hour or two, allowing them to say their goodbye's and tell Starla what they wanted her to hear after so long. 

Dean was already outside waiting in the car, Sam watching the Borrower struggle back emotions while thanking Grace and Keith for their understanding natures. She was so small but had such a big heart. She was brave too. 

The brown haired Borrower turned and looked up at Sam, using her hand to wipe wet spots from her face. "L-Let's go. I'm ready," she spoke softly, stepping forward.

Sam lowered his hand palm up for her, allowing her to step on and settle in before he began to move. As he turned, he paused and looked back to the couple. "If we have time, we will bring her back to visit. You can be sure of that," he offered a warm smile before stepping out the door and looked at the Impala. 

Starla rested her hand against Sam's thumb. "Things are okay now Sam. You and Dean have a job to do. And this time, I'm going with you."

Tossing brown locks out of his face, Sam smiled down at the tiny female that he saw as his sister. She was right. She wasn't getting left behind this time. Starla would be safe and secure with him and Dean as they traveled around. Saving people, hunting things. 

Dean looked out the driver's side window at his brother and little sister, a faint smile starting to creep onto his lips. This was okay. Things were good. Despite the pain in his chest still, he had his family. 

Starla didn't mind as Sam slipped her into his shirt pocket, and in fact got comfortable against his chest as she listened to his heartbeat behind her. This was what she'd wanted for so long. A life. Someone to care for her. Now she had it. 

She's found her family.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's that! Thanks for sticking around if ya did, and thank you for reading! Love all of you, stay safe, and keep an eye out for the next story.