Chapter Twenty-four

Sam raced through the large house, checking every single room he could see. He could only hope that he wasn't too late. That he could still save the small girl he considers a younger sister. 

His pulse was racing, beads of sweat dripping down his face and causing his brown locks to cling to his skin. In all his panic he still tried to be quiet enough not to alert the vampire lurking around. However, he knows how good the vamps' hearing and their sense of smell is. 

Sam hesitated outside a partially open door but soon threw it open, his machete held at the ready as he scanned the room. It was dark, but not dark enough that he couldn't see the shadowy figure standing in the middle of the room.

There was a sharp crack as a purple-ish glowing wooden stake shot across the room, landing right in the doorway beside his head. A warning shot and the same stake that was stuck in Dean's chest. 

"Where is she?" Sam demanded, raising the blade with narrowed eyes. He eyed the room, spying the dried blood covered surgical tools resting on the table. He could imagine it was Starla's but couldn't be sure.

"Oh, the 'Borrower'? She's here," the vampire purred in an all too calm tone, stepping to the side and gesturing to a tiny figure lying on the table. 

Sam hesitantly took a step closer, his chest tightening. "Starla, can you hear me?" He asked in a low voice, but the small being didn't stir.

Her brown hair was stuck to her face, blood covering her arms and face, her one leg contorted in an unnatural position. It was obviously broken. From where he was, Sam couldn't see if she was breathing or not. 

"God, Starla?" He started to step closer but the vamp moved in his way. "Let me get to her!"

"You should know by now who she actually is. I know you went to talk to that old woman," his lips curled up into a smirk. 

Sam bit down hard on the inside of his cheek. "Yeah, I found it. I found the picture, I heard the story. I'll tell her and Dean both when I actually get the chance."

"Ah, you say when. So you believe you can save both of them?"

"I know I can," Sam jerked, stabbing a needle into the vamp's neck, a triumphant glint in his eyes. "Dead man's blood. You'll be just as weak as my brother here in a minute, and then you'll tell me how to fix them both."

"S-Sam...i-is that you?" Starla's weak voice reached his ears, and he briefly glanced in her direction. The small being was trying to move, her limbs seemingly shaky.

Taking a deep breath he wrestled the vampire down and into a chair. "Dad! Get a rope or a chain or something!"

Starla couldn't hear much, but she could recognize Sam's voice. Everything was so muffled. Her body was aching, but pictures were flooding through her head. A man. A woman. They looked like her parents but their faces were blurry, as every other image was. What was this? 

A sharp pain ripped through her stomach and she gasped, her lips parting in an ear piercing scream. It was like nothing she's ever felt before, and at the same time, it was so familiar. 

She could hear muffled voices, but when she opened her eyes she couldn't see anything. The pain was too great. 

All she suddenly felt were large fingers gently beginning to lift her from the table before she completely blacked out.

Sloppy writing, I apologize. A tad bit of writers block but I have an idea for the next chapter for sure.