Chapter 3: Goodbye

3rd persons POV

Natsume decided to skip school today, and his two best friends didn't want him to be alone for the day and stayed from school with him. Recently, Ruka's mother, Nogi-san, thought that she should ease up on the bodyguards and so there were none with the children. Natsume had forced Aoi to go to school, and now the trio were sitting atop the rock at the abandoned park. Natsume was telling Ruka something that Akako didn't bother listening to, her mind occupied with her usual thoughts. The girl laid down on the flatter part of the giant rock, her eyes staring up to the sky and watching the clouds flutter by.

Ruka adds to the conversation when he notices Akako sit up quickly, he couldn't see her face but was startled when she spoke. "Ruka, Natsume! Come on!" she whispers sharply, making both of the boys stare at her in shock. The small girl hops off the rock and starts sprinting towards a building, the two boys look at each other before hopping off and following her.

They get to the wall where Akako is standing, she crouches down and looks around the wall. Ruka, looking at her in confusion, moves above her to look around the wall as well; Natsume does the same. There, they see a man with a walkie-talkie as he talks of a fire that happened in the forest with an unexplained cause. Ruka feels his eyes widen in shock while Akako gasps and looks up at Natsume. The fire was caused by Natsume when he and Ruka found Akako and Aoi upset because some random kids picked on and bullied them.

"We think it might be the boy and his family." The man continues to speak. Ruka stays still, watching the man carefully when he hears Akako mumble something.

"We'll meet again..."

Ruka feels Akako shift and almost collapses when he sees her running towards the man. He goes to shout for her when he's grabbed and his mouth is covered, in panic Ruka begins to squirm and wiggle. Next to him, he can feel Natsume fighting as well, "Calm down boys..." They both stop and look up to see Natsume's father.

Akako's POV

Today Natsume didn't want to go to class, so we stayed with him. I knew that I wouldn't be able to tell Sakamoto-Obaachan or Ojii-Chan, otherwise they'd scold me and stop me from playing with Ruka and Natsume for a few weeks. Aoi, on the other hand, headed off and went to school as per Natsume's orders while we went to the abandoned park. We didn't do much but we were all content just being together. Nogi-San has taken away most of Ruka-pyon's body guards, making my best friend more relaxed.

I sigh as I lay in the rock, picking aimlessly at a flower in my hands. I stare up at the sky as the warm sun bathes me, giving me a gooey warm feeling.

I'm relaxing when all of a sudden I hear a muffled and crackled voice speak, "There have been reports of an Alice in this town." I hear a walkie talkie beep.

I bolt up and look around. I see a man walking a little ways away with a walkie talkie in his hands.

"Ruka, Natsume! Come on!" I whisper and run away from our spot, making my way behind a building. A moment later, they catch up. I look around the corner of the building and stare at the man holding the walkie talkie. I feel Ruka and Natsume move around me to also see the man as he comes to a stop.

"There was an unusual fire that happened in the forest and they couldn't find a cause for it." I gasp at the words and look at Natsume. That was Natsume when he got mad about boys picking on me and Aoi-Chan, it took me and Ruka to keep him from going and threatening them. "We think it might be the boy and his family." He says.

I look at the ground and make my decision. I know that Uncle would definitely be devastated if Natsume and Aoi were taken. After all, from what they told us, they'd been running almost their whole lives. To see their efforts be in vain...