CHAPTER 1

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Monroe, I've watched my grandmother suffer for years, I watched her take her final breath, I watched her lay in her heavenly bed and now I'm watching her being buried into the ground. The only true friend I had and now she's gone to live in a better world.

From the moment I was able to see, I always saw her face in my mind with that beautiful smile. She had the heart of gold and had the strength of a warrior. Although I mourned for days, I kept my posture and remained strong. She wouldn't want me to be standing here crying over her. She always told me that when her time comes, she wanted me to be happy and rejoice, because she was no longer worried.

After the burial, we headed back to the church for the gathering. Everyone mingled around or grabbed a bite to eat while I isolated myself next to the rarely large window.

Most of these people were friends of my grandmother. I would only see them every now and then; yet still, I payed them no mind even at the time she was here. But they're good people and loved her so much. She was that friend that everyone could go to. No matter how serious the situation was or how much the person had done, she never judged a soul. She never discriminated, she loved everyone and that is why her heart was painted gold, shined like a light.

I stared back out of the window, watching it pour down again; I never could figure out why it always rain when someone passes on, It's weird but matches the feelings and emotions of the event. Now that she's gone, so many questions are running through my mind. Where do I go now? Where will I live and who will be kind enough to take me in?

I glanced at everyone as they rambled on about nothing if not about my grandmother. I pray that it's no one here, I wouldn't be able to cope with that. Maybe I was meant to be in an home full of kids I don't know, waiting for someone to adopt me. My mother never wanted anything to do with me, she was too busy out breaking laws and running from it. I never knew my dad, I only had my grandmother.

"Hey." Someone spoke in a soft tone of voice. I turned to the figure as he sat next to me. I gave him a very weak smile while readjusting myself and fixing my black dress. A young guy, probably about twenty, to twenty-three at least; but what does he want from a seventeen year old, I don't know.

"You're over here all alone, you don't want anything to eat?" He asked me.

"I'm not hungry." I replied in a low tone as I played with the end of my dress. I remember spotting him at the funeral and burial service, but I don't know who he is; maybe a family-friend.

"I understand, I wouldn't be hungry either." He nodded, grasping his hands together while looking away.

"But they're serving steak and my stomach couldn't pass that up." He joked. I giggled a bit until it turned into a small laugh. He smiled a bit, chuckling at his own corny joke.

"I'm Corbin, Irene's oldest grandson." He introduced himself. I smiled a bit, yet puzzled as I slowly shook his hand.

"Well, on my mom's side." He said.

"Maybe you're that cousin she's always telling me about." I respond.

"She never said your name but she talked a lot about you." I explained with a nice smile. It was good to see another relative here besides seeing just friends.

"I'm Monroe or Moe for short, Irene's oldest granddaughter." I said.

"Her only granddaughter actually." I finished. He nodded in response, showing more of his smile.

"I didn't know Janice had another daughter?" He chuckled a bit. I raised my brow again, staring at him the entire time as he looked at the others.

"You mean aunt Janice?" I questioned. He turned to me, unsure of what to say.

"She has a son and new born baby girl right?" I asked, slowly confusing myself. He stared down at me for a moment with the same look.

"You are her son right?" I interrogated.

"No." He answered.

"Wait, Janice isn't your mom?" He questioned while sitting up straight.

"No, I thought she was your mom." I replied.

"No. I'm Kendall's son, her only son." He answered.

"I'm Kendall's only daughter." I stated, emphasizing the word only. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came about and he bowed his head. I witnessed the nervous chuckle that escaped his lips as his knee began to shake a little.

"Your Kendall's daughter? Kendall D'Carter?" He asked. I nodded, afraid to speak almost. He chuckled nervously again as his leg began to shake a bit faster this time.

"So you mean to tell me that you're my sister?" He said as he looked me in the eyes. I could feel my throat become dry and my body become frozen as I kept my eyes on him.

My grandma always told me that God takes people out of your life and he also puts people into your life as well. However, I never knew that it would feel like this when it happens.