CHAPTER 20

Saturday, May 30th - Two Weeks Later

Monroe, I held Julius close while fixing my dress, waiting patiently for Prince to come out. I watched everyone say their final goodbyes, hugs and kisses. It's been weeks since Mrs. Amelia's death and Prince hadn't said much of anything. He barely speaks, he barely speaks, he doesn't do much really, yet I haven't left his side since. Turns out that it was a drive-by going on that night and it wasn't just his house that got hit. Yet, no one was hurt or killed but Mrs. Amelia. She just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I remember when I graduated." Ray began.

"It was crazy as hell." He chuckled.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Principle showed up late." He answered.

"Turned out she was drunk." He chuckled.

"Then her ass fell off the stage." He laughed. I laughed as well, not expecting that.

"I cried my eyes out, all the way until I got my diploma." He added.

"Wow Ray." I giggled.

"I'm surprised she didn't get fired." He said.

"Monroe." Someone called. I looked away from Ray, watching Jordi and Chresanto approach me.

"Hey." I greeted with a warm smile.

"Hey girl, hey Ray." She greeted.

"Congratulations." I told Chres with a quick hug.

"Congratulations man." Ray said, giving him dap.

"Thanks." He said.

"Who is this?" Jordi asked.

"Julius, Prince's little brother." I smiled.

"He's so adorable, hi cutie." She greeted him. He gave her a cute little smile, taking her finger into his hand.

"And he's friendly." She giggled.

"He is." I smiled. I felt another presence approach me, grabbing my attention. It was Princeton, slowly making his way over.

"Hey man." Ray greeted.

"Hey." He softly spoke.

"Prince I'm sorry about your grandmother." Jordi stated with a warm embrace.

"Yeah man, shit was messed and I hope they find who did it." Chres added.

"Thanks." He said.

"Mr. Perez?" Someone called. It was Principle Reed, slowly making his way towards us. Prince turned towards him, giving his undivided attention.

"I know me and you had a rough journey." He began.

"But I must say that I am very proud of you for keeping your posture."

"And I'm very sorry for your lost, I know that she would be very proud of you." He added.

"You're a very smart young man and I just hope that you take that brain of yours and go somewhere far."

"Good job son." He finished.

"Thank you." He said. With that, he left, disappearing in the crowd.

"Well, we're going out later to celebrate, you guys gonna join us?" Jordi asked. I looked at Prince and he shook his head, signaling no. I sighed, turning back towards Jordi.

"It's okay, we understand." She said.

"We just hope you get better soon." She rubbed his arm before walking away with Chres behind her.