Trouble In Paradise Part 1: Yeah Yeah

"YOU'RE SENDING ME WHERE?!?"

"Sacramento, it's only a couples hours away honey." My mom tried to reason with me.

"But I can't leave! You can't take me away from the Sandlot!" I complained, furious that they would even think to send me anywhere other than my home.

"Now you see, that attitude is exactly why you're being sent to military school, you're too focused on baseball, you failed eighth grade for god's sake! Enjoy the time you have left, you're leaving in two weeks."

"But mom-"

"No, Alan James, go." My mom hadn't used my full name in years, that means she must be serious.

I grabbed my glove and ran out the door with tears threatening to run down my face. I can't leave, the sandlot is all I have, I don't know what I would do without my best friends.

~~~~~~~~

"You can't be serious."

"She was serious, she said my full name! I'm gonna have to go..." My eyes drifted down to the ground. I felt hands on my back, trying to reassure me but nothing would help.

"Your mom can't do this!" All our eyes shifted to Ham, who had just chucked his glove at the ground. "She's gonna ruin our team and send our best friend away because he's 'too into baseball'?? That's so stupid! This is an outrage!" Ham was screaming by the end of his rant as he turned and kicked at the dirt, having a little tantrum.

Ham had slimmed down a bit over the last couple years, gained more muscle than fat and growing a lot. So seeing a 5'10 teenage guy throw a tantrum like a six year old girl was both hilarious and slightly alarming. Sure, he had his out bursts, but always at Phillips, never at... The ground.

"Ham, calm down, beating up the ground ain't gonna help nothin," leave it to Benny to be the calm, reasonable one, "We gotta find a way to keep him here, pull another rescue mission, but on a person instead of a ball."

By the time he was done, we had all gained some faith again. Sadly, Benny didn't make an amazing rescue mission this time, no one did. And in two weeks time, I was in the back seat of my parent's car on my way to the bus station where the "correctional officers", as my mom called them, were picking me up. God it sounds like I'm going to jail.

My life at that point, was the lowest it had ever been. Little did I know, I was about to be both saved and doomed at the same time, by the same person.