Stories

Turns out they weren't the first guys back, just the first to make any noise. They were actually the last 3 guys back to the treehouse.

So everyone saw us making out. Great.

Once I got over the initial shock of being caught, Alan led me to the treehouse and it was so cute! Everyone was already set up and Ham was making s'mores so of course I grabbed one. Who can resist a s'more?

"Who wants to tell scary stories? Like the old days?" Squints offered up after a little while.

"But the Hercules story isn't scary anymore man," Benny rejected his idea.

"We can always make up new ones, they don't all have to be about Hercules," Ham defended Squints. Squints smiled at his as if saying thank you and Ham nodded back.

"Fine then tell a scary story man, show us how it's done," I could hear the challenge in Benny's voice and smirked slightly. Yeah, put the pressure on him man.

Squints surprised be by immediately pulling a scary story out of wherever he was hiding it in that brain of his and it actually wasn't half bad. Everyone else seemed scared at least.

"Oh come on, that wasn't even scary. If you're gonna tell a scary story it can't be from a kids book dude," I complained. Sure it wasn't that bad but it wasn't scary either.

"Alright then you tell one since you're all big and bad," Squints looked at me with a challenging glare in his eye. He'll learn not to underestimate me.

"There was once a boy-" I started.

"Boring!" Squints shouted, interrupting me making everyone laugh.

"Boy I'll beat your ass," I said while joking glaring at him. Once everyone quieted down, I started again.

(This is a stolen story because I'm not creative enough to think of a scary story off the top of my head)

"Once there was a boy who was sleeping peacefully in his bed. He heard some commotion in his room and awoke to huge, insect like creatures looming over his bed and screamed his lungs out. They hastily left the room and he stayed up all night, shaking and wondering if it had been a dream. The next morning, there was a tap on the door. Gathering his courage, he opened it to see one of them gently place a plate filled with fried breakfast on the floor, then retreat to a safe distance. Bewildered, he accepted the gift. The creatures chittered excitedly. This happened every day for weeks. At first he was worried they were fattening him up, but after a particularly greasy breakfast left him clutching his chest from heartburn, they were replaced with fresh fruit. As well as cooking, they poured hot steamy baths for him and even tucked him in when he went to bed. It was bizarre. One night, he awoke to gunshots and screaming. He raced downstairs to find a decapitated burglar being devoured by the insects. He was sickened, but disposed of the remains as best he could. He knew they had just been protecting him. One morning the creatures wouldn't let him leave his room. He lay down, confused but trusting as they ushered him back into bed. Whatever their motives, they weren't going to hurt him. Hours later a burning pain spread throughout his body. It felt like his stomach was filled with razor wire. The insects chittered as he spasmed and moaned. It was only when he felt a terrible squirming feeling beneath his skin that he realised the insects hadn't been protecting him. They had been protecting their young."

When I finished everyone was just staring at me completely grossed out.

"Man that made my skin tingle, tell another one!" Denunez called out after a minute and everyone agreed. I giggled a bit then thought about it and told another one. (Stolen again)

"Everyone loves the first day of school, right? New year, new classes, new friends. It's a day full of potential and hope, before all the dreary depressions of reality show up to ruin all the fun.I like the first day of school for a different reason, though. You see, I have a sort of power. When I look at people, I can...sense a sort of aura around them. A colored outline based on how long that person has to live. Most everyone I meet around my age is surrounded by a solid green hue, which means they have plenty of time left.A fair amount of them have a yellow-orangish tinge to their auras, which tends to mean a car crash or some other tragedy. Anything that takes people "before their time" as they say.The real fun is when the auras venture into the red end of the spectrum, though. Every now and again I'll see someone who's basically a walking stoplight. Those are the ones who get murdered or kill themselves. It's such a rush to see them and know their time is numbered.With that in mind, I always get to class very early so I can scout out my classmates' fates. The first kid who walked in was basically radiating red. I chuckled to myself. Too damn bad, bro. But as people kept walking in, they all had the same intense glow. I finally caught a glimpse of my rose-tinted reflection in the window, but I was too stunned to move. Our professor stepped in and locked the door, his aura a sickening shade of green."

Everyone stared at me wide-eyed, letting it process then ushered me to tell another. This continued on for a while until I pulled a really dark story out and scared everyone so much that they told me to stop. After that we just talked. Well, they did. I just sat there for a minute taking in where I was right now. A treehouse full of guys, some older than me, who played baseball and stole a baseball back from a dog they thought would kill them. A group of guys who seemed like they could handle anything.

But the story that scared them the most was a true one. The story that they told me to stop after was what happened to me, or more accurately, what happened to my dad.