Before The Wedding - Part 6

*Please don't forget to vote, comment and share*

SALMA

"Which looks better? This one, or this one?" Safiya asked, holding up two identical beige pumps.

"This one." I said, pulling her wrist. "Now, let's go and pay."

"No. I prefer this one." she said, pulling herself free. "Or maybe I should get those flats I saw back there. I think I should go and check them out once again. Maybe I'll find some different ones. Who am I even kidding? I'll just get them all."

"For the love of Allah, please let's go. We've been in this store for two hours now. Let's go and finish buying what Mama said." I sighed.

"Will you chill out? We still have enough time." she said, checking her wristwatch. I rolled my eyes and sat back down. "Please hurry up." I said, glancing at a cute pair of flats.

"I'll be back before you can say six-inch stilettos." she winked. "Whatever." I muttered as she walked away. Shoe shopping with her is so annoying. I don't even know why I decided to come with her. I just needed something to distract me.

"Excuse me Miss," someone suddenly said behind me. I whirled around, and saw an elderly man stooping slightly. "Could you please direct me to the kitchen appliances aisle? My eyesight is not as strong as it used to be."

"Of course, it's three aisles down this way." I smiled, pointing him in the direction.

"Actually, I was hoping you could escort me towards it." he smiled. He looked to be in his late fifties, and his receding grey hairline was a testament to his age. The skin across his forehead was beginning to wrinkle slowly as well.

"Sorry, but I'm actually waiting for someone. If I leave now, she may come here before I return. Sorry." I said, giving him my best smile.

His shoulders sagged, and he bowed his head slightly as he sighed. "Very well. But in that case, I guess I should just be blunt with you. I actually came here to try and get your phone number. You look like a very responsible girl, and I'll like to make your acquaintance." he said.

It took me a few seconds before my brain registered what he was trying to say. This man is hitting on me. And he's not even ashamed of asking. The nerve of some people.

Wow!

"Um..." I started, unsure of what to say. "No offence, but aren't you a little too old to be asking for my phone number? I mean, you're old enough to be my father."

"Age is just a number. Please understand that my intentions are genuine. I'm not here for anything other than to get to know you. I realise that this puts you in an awkward situation, but I can assure you that once we get to know each other, everything will become better. You have nothing to worry about." he said.

"Are you being serious?"

"Yes."

"Like actually serious?"

"One hundred percent."

"Um... I don't know what to say."

"How about you just give me your phone number, and we'll continue this conversation some other time?" he asked, handing me his phone. I stared at the phone in his hand, contemplating what to do.

"Salma, tashi mu tafi. Na samu wanda nake so (Salma, let's go. I found the one I want)." Safiya suddenly said, appearing out of thin air. She stopped abruptly as she stared at me, her eyes darting between me and the man standing beside me. "What's going on here?" she asked.