Chapter 21 - Our Lord

Demitri and Mispy wandered through the inner caverns of Hot Spot. It was odd not having a forest to walk out of from their old cave; the lack of foliage unnerved Mispy in particular. Back at their old home, they would have gone out of the cave, headed into the nearby forest, helped water Rhys' garden—

"Mispy, do you think Rhys still checks on his berry garden at our old place?" Demitri said. "We kinda just up and left..."

Mispy frowned, thoughtful. That garden always had the best-tasting berries, possibly because of how fresh they were. Could they find a way to grow them in Hot Spot? Maybe if they went outside and then climbed the hills that were above them.

She missed the sun. The Mystic glow of the mushrooms that coated the red rocks blue just weren't enough. She absently prodded at one with her foreleg, noting the relative firmness of the otherwise soft fungi, and then glanced at Demitri.

"Mispy, what're you—"

Mispy wrapped a vine around one of the mushrooms and tugged; the rounded cap was about half the size of her head, and the stem was nearly as thick as her leg. She had to pull harder. It broke near the base, but the glow remained, albeit quickly fading.

"Hungry?" Mispy asked, offering the mushroom.

"Is that even edible?"

Mispy shrugged. "We can try."

That didn't comfort the Axew very much, but before he could object, the Chikorita took a nibble from the cap. Bland, but with a hint of an earthy, savory flavor. It wasn't dry, but it wasn't exactly dripping wet, either; the insides reminded her of mild cheese. When was the last time they'd gone to Tank of Miltank, anyway? Well, dairy didn't agree very much with Demitri, but Mispy wouldn't mind trying some again.

"How is it?" Demitri asked, breaking Mispy from her thoughts.

"Mm." Mispy offered the other side of the cap to Demitri, bobbing her leaf. "Good."

Demitri took a nibble next, humming uncertainly after a few chews. "It's okay," he half-agreed. "I miss Rhys' berries, though."

To that, they could both agree.

All around them were empty homes; they were slightly deeper in Hot Spot, not really trying to chase Owen, but still wanting to at least be, in some small way, closer to where he was moping. Any closer and the heat would've gotten to Mispy—her Grass instincts were already telling her to go back. Then again, they had been telling her to get out and get some sun, too.

"I hope Owen's okay," Demitri said, frowning.

Sensing that their walk was over, Mispy moved near the wall by a patch of mushrooms and planted her rear next to them decisively. Demitri suppressed a laugh and followed her, brushing his hip against hers. She leaned behind his tusk and gave it a playful nibble.

By the time their first mushroom was halfway eaten, Demitri spoke again. "I can't even imagine it," he said. "This whole town used to be filled with villagers. Owen mentioned a few of them. Apparently, there was a Fennekin that had given him, like, courtship advice, or something. And an Arcanine that always gave him rides around the village. And then a bunch of other Pokémon, too. But now it's so awkward now that the secret's out that they don't even show up anymore."

Mispy tore off another strip of the mushroom stem. "All an act."

Demitri shuddered. "All fake..."

An uncomfortable silence surrounded them and Demitri pulled his legs closer to his body. "Who would've thought that a literal ghost town could feel even worse when the ghosts are gone."