Chapter 39 - Correct

"Sooo, can we evolve now?" Demitri balled up his fists, shaking them enthusiastically. Mispy listened, but spent her time prodding at one of the Hot Spot mushrooms with a vine to feign a lack of interest.

"Not until we're sure we can get you in a safe environment," Rhys said.

Demitri frowned, tapping into some unused Dragon pride. "Aw, c'mon! I mean—if something bad happens, you can just warp us to Emily's place, right? It's not like we can fly off like those two!" He pointed at the fully-evolved Flygon and Charizard, both of whom smirked at Demitri in almost the same manner.

"How's it feel competing fer third place?" Gahi taunted.

Owen quickly suppressed the smirk. "You know, Gahi, if they evolve fine, they'll be the only ones to do it without some kind of assistance."

"Feh, whatever helps'm sleep at night." Gahi stuck his nose in the air triumphantly, his shining body gleaming against the mushroom glow.

"Well... that much is true..." Rhys considered their reasoning, but sounded cautious.

Owen had to agree. After all, they were strongly biased toward recovering their true forms and memories. For all Rhys knew, even with the two of them stable, Demitri and Mispy could make it all fall apart with a single misstep.

Demitri frowned, looking down. Maybe Rhys was—Mispy prodded Demitri hard on the back with her other vine. "I mean—we're way better at meditating, compared to Gahi," he said. "So, since we're all behaved and all that, that means we'll stay sane easier, right?"

Gahi's right eye twitched. "Oy, that ain't my fault, Eon made me nuts!"

"It's likely a bit of both, Gahi," Rhys said, earning an indignant flinch, then a snort, from the mutant. "Hmm... but I suppose if we have enough containment procedures in place, we should be able to evolve you without waiting for another opportunity where Emily is available. How does that sound?"

Demitri lit up. "That sounds great!"

Mispy nodded eagerly.

"How does that sound to everyone else?" Rhys clarified, turning to face the remainder of the crowd.

Owen rumbled uncertainly, startling himself with how deep the growl sounded. He had to get used to that. The much larger pseudo-dragon cleared his throat.. "We'll have to make sure they can't escape. And that if we get in trouble, we can warp them right to Emily's place. But since we sorta... warped to the Chasm place, and then again to get out of it, I think the Badge is depleted for now. And—oh! The Dark Guardian! Is he—"

"I don't think we should go there for now." Rhys shook his head. "If we return now, he might feel threatened, after how Eon behaved. We should wait at least a day. Until then... Why don't we have some breakfast? A... late... very late breakfast." His shoulders slouched. It was a good thing he didn't have to eat.

Demitri and Mispy's stomachs suddenly growled. Mispy's especially, droning on for several seconds after Demitri's settled.

"W-wow, that's right—we totally forgot to eat..."

"Food," Mispy lamented.

Amia giggled. "Rhys, dear, why don't we make something special for them?"

"That will give the Badges time to recharge," Rhys agreed. "Very well. We will make something energizing. That will give me some time to prepare my training for them... I think we will be able to unlock their potential quickly."

Demitri perked up. "Ooh—is it a secret technique? How come you never showed it to us before?"

"Is it dangerous?" Mispy asked.