Special Episode 4 - Revise the Moment

Rotwood Fen was a cursed place.

The ground was covered in a thin, patchy layer of dark grass. Surrounding this grass was black mud, fungus, and grime, cold to the touch. Rocks were covered in mold and moss, various shades of gray and bluish-black, or some strange mixture of both. Bug Pokémon hid beneath the largest boulders, in little pockets of air and dirt, seeking shelter from the many feral predators that roamed the woods.

The trees were sparsely populated. Each one was no more than a foot in diameter—flimsy things that had few leaves. The bark flaked away to the touch, and had a fuzzy, soft texture on the surface. It wouldn't take much to push one of these damp, decaying structures to the ground. The roots were gnarled and twisted through the dirt like tentacles. Some of the trees had scraggly, vine-like, yet wooden accents to the trunk that wrapped around the main bark like Tangela or the limbs of a Carnivine.

Two Pokémon walked through this dying forest. One was an Alakazam, holding his two spoons in one hand, and a strange, square device in another. The device had a minimalistic interface, with a few numbers in the top corner that slowly decreased as they moved, and a dot near the top of the screen that moved closer to the center.

The second Pokémon was huddled behind Nevren—a small Chikorita, nervously avoiding any of the trees. She saw herself in them, and what this forest could do to plants. Would she rot away in a place like this? If she wasn't careful, she'd end up becoming some wild Pokémon's next meal. And then what?

"D-Dad," she said.

"Yes, Mispy?" Nevren asked, looking back.

She gulped. "I—I don't... like this place."

"Ahh, I understand. Not to worry. As long as you are with me, we will be perfectly safe."

"Why couldn't Demitri...?"

"I only needed you, Mispy, for the purpose of healing," Nevren said. "The others are still training. You want to evolve, after all, yes? And healing is a great way to practice your special abilities."

"Mnn." Mispy sniffed. "It's scary..."

"I understand," Nevren said. "Granted, we are a small team. Just the two of us. And you're quite used to cooperating with the other three. But ever since you fused together and lost your minds, well—" Nevren realized too late that he'd slipped.

"H-huh?" Mispy's head jerked up. "What... what d....? I—I fused? What does...?! I don't remember... I don't..." Mispy's wide eyes became even wider. Her leaf trembled—memories came flooding back. "A... Aaaa...! AAAAAHH!"

Nevren dropped his spoons to the ground and slipped the now-free hand into the bag slung around his neck. He grabbed a small, blue device with a circular, bright emblem in the middle, and clicked on the center button.

The world was dark for less than a blink. And then, the world returned to normal. Nevren was walking forward. Mispy was walking behind him. Nevren scanned his location and made sure to not lose his rhythmic steps. The tree that they had passed moments ago was ahead of him again.

"D-Dad," Mispy spoke up.

"Yes, Mispy?" Nevren asked, looking back at the Chikorita.

She gulped. "I—I don't... like this place."

"Ahh, I understand," Nevren said. "Not to worry. As long as you are with me, we will be perfectly safe." Nevren didn't pause this time. "I imagine you want Demitri and the others here, but they're still training. Your healing will be invaluable on this outing."

"Oh," Mispy said. "O-okay..."

Nevren nodded. "Very good, then. Let's continue."

They continued their walk through Rotwood. The trees were starting to get a bit denser, but they were no less rotten. The sky was darkening rapidly, and Nevren suddenly stopped his walking when he sensed a change in the atmosphere. "Mispy," he said, "you should stay close to me, yes?"