The Element Fight

Ember woke up the next day, bouncing off the walls. She was excited to see who she would be paired up with for the Element fight and she couldn't wait for Force-Field Generation. Basically, it was learning how to create a shield made of solid protons. Then a thought hit her. Ellis had said that Dune was taking that class but that was a Light class. Maybe he had it for Energy but that was doubtful. She would find Ellis later and ask him.

Ember scampered to the door and skidded to a stop when she noticed a papyrus sheet on the floor. It looked as though it had been pushed under the door. Ember gingerly picked it up and then she got even more animated. It was the Element fight pairings. Ember found her name and saw that she would have to fight two different people. She was paired with Ash for her first fight. That made sense but she was paired with Dune for her second fight. Ember spit out the water that she had just drank. Crap! Dune was powerful and it had already been proved that Dune could best her in a normal fight any day. A part of Ember told herself that this wasn't a normal fight; it was an Element fight.

Ember shook herself once and told herself not to think about it and just train really hard.

Ember did work very hard in every single one of her classes, even Catastrophic History. She was determined to beat Dune. First thing, in Air Imitation, Ember transformed into a cloud and back out almost effortlessly and Mr. Omosa made Ash keep practicing while he taught Ember how to change into fog which was the next easiest. By the end of the class she could do that too. She did just as well in all of her other classes.

At lunch she had no homework so she searched for Ellis. Mostly she had a lot of homework in the classes after lunch. She found Ellis sitting with a few other guys. Ember ran up to the table and sat down across from Ellis.

"Can I ask you a quick question?" She demanded. Ellis looked shocked that she came over but he also looked quite pleased. His friends were all winking at him and making weird noises but Ember paid no attention.

"Sure." He said eagerly.

"Yesterday you said that Dune was taking Force-Field Generation?" Ember asked. Ellis's face fell a little but only for a moment so Ember was sure she had imagined it. She had to do that a lot lately and it was becoming a habit.

"He was allowed to choose one extra class and that's the one he chose." Ellis explained. "Perfect" Ember thought to herself but she didn't say it aloud.

"Well, thanks Ellis!" She gave him a thumbs up and scurried away leaving a red faced Ellis behind. Why did Dune get to choose an extra class and why did he choose a Light class? That made absolutely no sense to Ember. It made her outraged.

She didn't eat lunch at all but instead went to wait in the hallway for her next class.

The rest of the day went just as well as the first half and Ember was doing much better than Ash much to her delight. Ash sure didn't thank her for that though. He became even moodier throughout the day. Ember wanted to throttle him all day but figured that wouldn't be good for her training.

ℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓℓ

It was the day of the Element fight and Ember was confident that she was prepared. She had mastered everything her instructors taught her and she practiced in her room every night. Ember just hoped Dune hadn't been doing the same.

Ember searched her closet for something that would be suitable for fighing. She chose, brown cargo pants, a black skin tight t-shirt, and her work boots. She threw her hair up into a ponytail like usual and was about to leave but something stopped her. She turned around and looked at her bag lying on her bed. She bit her lip nervously.