A Sneaky Not-so-little Plan

Ember flipped through the books when she returned to her hut and spent several hours practicing new techniques and learning new information about the Elements.

            Finally, Ember decided to peek inside the journal that she had been instructed to not let Ash see.

            The cover page had an intricate design of a sun and a moon. Ember thought it was beautiful and spent plenty of time just studying and memorizing it. Maybe, eventually, she would try to draw it herself.

            Also on the cover page was a name. Alyey Keeper.

            Who was Alyey Keeper and why did Miss Delios give Ember Alyey’s journal?

            Maybe Ember would find out if she actually read the journal. With that, Ember flipped to the first page and began to read.

            I have tried and tried to find a way to stay out of their grasp but to no avail. They always find me but for some reason they can’t seem to keep ahold of me. Nowhere is safe for me. Nowhere will be safe for my family that I didn’t even know existed. My child will never be safe. Ever. I know something about what will happen to them. My son will try to do their bidding and my daughter, my daughter will stop at nothing to stop him and them.

            That sounded exactly like Ember’s situation but Ember knew it couldn’t be her Alyey was talking about. Could it?

            Whoever it was about, it was interesting and Ember had to know what happened next but she had to be ready for the next day, during which Ash and Ember would continue on to wherever it was they would find themselves next.

            She closed the journal, put it back in her bag, and closed the bag. She wouldn’t allow anyone else to touch that journal, let alone read it.

            Next, she placed the staff right next to the bed, on the floor, gathered Lev into her arms and flopped on to the soft bed.

            It took two minutes for Ember to fall asleep.

            Right before she fell into that sleep, she remembered that with the staff, she could go without sleep. Oh well, at least she had time to actually go to sleep. She was going to use that to her advantage.

            “Ember!” Someone pounded on the hut door and Ember jumped out of bed. She shuffled to the door and swung it open.

            It was just Weston holding Ash by the arm.

            Ember flattened her hair and gestured for them to come in.

            “Did we wake you up?” Weston asked with an apologetic expression.

            “Kinda. It’s okay though. I needed to get up anyways.” Ember said with a small smile.

            “We have decided to help you.” Weston said suddenly.

            “You have? Oh, thank you!” Ember grinned at Weston and he grinned back.

            “It’s a risk we are willing to take.”

            “That’s fantastic!” Then, as if Ember had just then realized Ash was there, “Why are holding on to Ash?” Ember narrowed her eyes.

            “He didn’t believe I was taking him to you and he tried to escape again.” Weston said with a frown.

            “That’s understandable.” Ember said even though, if she was in Ash’s position, she would have probably tried to run away too.

            “I need to change my clothes.” Ash said with a glare at Weston. “So if you don’t mind, you’re going to have to let go of me.”

            Weston reluctantly released Ash’s arm but not before saying, “Try not to do anything stupid.”

            Ash stormed into the huts bathroom and Weston had a smug look on his face that Ember felt the need to erase.

            “I’m gonna’ go see if Ash needs anything.” Ember said and then turned away from Ash to pick up Lev who was licking her ankles. “Just what do you think you’re doing Lev?” Ember asked playfully and she let Lev lick her forehead.

            Ash didn’t need anything from Ember so she returned back to Weston whose face brightened at the sight of Ember. Ember had brushed her hair and changed her clothes so she looked a lot better than she had when Weston saw her minutes ago.

            “I’m coming with you.” Weston said suddenly.

            “What? What do you mean?” Ember looked up at him wildly.

            “I mean, I’m coming with you and Ash wherever you’re going next.”

            Dune sat in his room with Ellis.

            “Any news on Ember?” Dune asked.

            “Yes actually. We have a spy in the nearest civilization in all directions. The spy has befriended Ember and has been watching Ashyo to make sure he doesn’t do anything funny. Ember hasn’t suspected a thing and he’s the same age as her and everything. He’s going to be traveling with them and hopefully lead them here or somewhere we can easily pick them up.” Ellis answered.

            “Perfect. This should work perfect.” Dune grinned wickedly.

            This was kind of a short chapter but it had quite a bit of information in it. Well actually it just had one really big piece of information in it.

            I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was fun to write especially Dune’s lines. He only had two but I like writing what he says so I’ll try to put what’s happening with him in every chapter from now on.

            I feel obligated to say this even though I really don’t know why but vote and comment. I would love to get a comment and a vote!