Chapter 3: The Bet

Amanda woke up earlier then usual. She was up before Tim and Jamie. Amanda started cooking breakfast. She was making pancakes. Jamie woke up and went downstairs. "Good morning, dear." Amanda said. "Good morning, mom." Jamie replied. Jamie sat down at the table and waited patiently for her breakfast. Jamie was day dreaming about racing with Frankel. 

"Here you go, honey." Amanda said as she placed Jamie's plate down in front of her. "Thanks mom." Jamie said. "You're welcome." Amanda replied. Tim shortly afterwards came downstairs. "Morning honey." Tim said to Amanda then gave her a kiss. Then he walked over to Jamie. "Good morning, Jamie." Tim said. "Morning, dad." Jamie replied. 

After breakfast, Jamie went outside to greet Frankel. "Are you ready for the track today?" Jamie asked. Frankel nickered. Tim headed outside to hook up the trailer. "What are you two up to today?" Amanda asked as Tim headed out the door. "Um, I am going to take Jamie to visit the track." Tim said. "My daughter isn't racing." Amanda said firmly. "No she isn't. I promise. I just want her to see what the track is like." Tim lied. "Alright." Amanda said. 

Tim hooked up the trailer to the truck. Jamie loaded Frankel into the trailer then ran to get her tack. Jamie grabbed her tack then put it in the back of the truck. Jamie got into the truck along with her father then they drove to the track. It took about fifteen minutes to arrive.

They finally arrived at the track and Jamie smiled as she watched the horses and riders race around the track. Tim parked the truck then Jamie got out to unload Frankel. The track they were at is called Spring Waters. Spring Waters is a public track, so anyone can come as they please. Jockeys are allowed to come practice, just ride around or have fun with their friends. Jamie felt like she was dreaming. The track was absolutely beautiful. 

Jamie unloaded Frankel from the trailer. His mane and tail started to flow from the breeze and the sun hit his coat perfectly. It made Frankel look shiny. Everyone watched as Jamie led Frankel to the cross ties. Jamie started grooming Frankel. "Are you excited, boy?" Jamie asked. Frankel nickered softly. Jamie started tacking him up. Jamie led Frankel to the entrance. "Have fun, Jamie." Tim said. "I will." Jamie replied with a smile. Jamie mounted onto Frankel and walked him around the track a few times so he could get use to his surroundings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          As they were walking around the track, a girl with blonde hair on a grey stallion raced by. "Wow, she was fast." Jamie said. Jamie gave Frankel a pat. "Hopefully, we will be that fast someday." Jamie said. Jamie squeezed Frankel into a trot. A little while later, the girl was back but this time she was slowing down. "Slow poke." The girl mumbled. "What?" Jamie asked. "You don't belong on this track with that flea bag." The girl said. "Frankel is not a flea bag!" Jamie replied angrily. "He looks like it to me. He will never be a race horse." The girl said. "Who even are you?" Jamie asked. "My name is  Samantha. I am the best jockey around and no one can beat me, especially you." Samantha said. "Frankel is faster than you think." Jamie said. "You wanna bet?" Samantha asked. "You know it." Jamie answered. "Fine. We will start at that pole and we will go one time around. The first one back around, wins." Samantha explained. "Deal." Jamie said. Jamie and Samantha rode to the start. "Ready, set, go!" Samantha yelled. As soon as Samantha yelled go, they were off. Jamie smiled as Frankel started speeding up. 

Jamie and Samantha were right beside each other for a while but then Samantha started speeding up. "Come on, boy." Jamie said softly. Frankel started going even faster. Soon, they were side by side again until they came around the final turn. "We can do it." Jamie whispered. That is when Frankel went the fasted he ever has gone. Jamie and Frankel passed Samantha and crossed the finish line. Jamie had the biggest smile. She slowed Frankel down and gave him a big pat. "Good boy." Jamie said. Frankel felt good too. Frankel was breathing heavily and sweating a lot but he loved it. He loved the feeling in his mane and tail, he loved feeling the dust fly off his hooves and he loved the rush. Jamie loved it too. "What! No, you cheated!" Samantha yelled. "I didn't cheat. I won fair and square." Jamie said. "No! No one beats me and my horse Thunderstorm! No one!" Samantha snapped. "Well, I did. Fair and square." Jamie said. "Ugh! You will get your pay back someday! You and that flea bag will never make it to the winners circle! You better be ready for the next time we meet!" Samantha yelled even louder. Jamie didn't reply then walked out of the track. Tim came running over. "That was amazing, Jamie." Tim said. "Thanks." Jamie replied with a smile. Jamie dismounted and gave Frankel a hug. "I love you, Frankel." Jamie whispered. 

As Jamie led Frankel back to the cross ties, a familiar face walked up. It was Ben! "Ben, what are you doing here?" Jamie asked. "Well, it was a long day and I decided to come out and relax by the track." Ben explained. "This is the best place to relax." Jamie said. "It sure is." Ben replied. "So, where you heading to now?" Jamie asked. "I am heading home, but I wanted to come check on Frankel. At first, I didn't even recognize you. Frankel is like a completely different horse. Especially, when I saw you race. I never knew we had such a champion on our property. You and this horse work well together." Ben explained. Jamie blushed a little. "Thank you." Jamie said. "No problem. You have real talent. No one has ever beaten Samantha before. I think you have a shot on becoming the next racing champion." Ben replied. Jamie blushed even more. Ben smiled then gave Frankel a pat. "You wanna hang out sometime?" Ben asked. "Sure!" Jamie replied. Ben and Jamie exchanged phone numbers. "See you later, Jamie." Ben said. "See ya." Jamie replied. Jamie led Frankel to the cross ties then untacked him. "You ready to go home boy?" Jamie asked. Frankel nickered. 

Jamie led Frankel into the trailer then her and Tim drove home after a long day at the track. Jamie started day dreaming of becoming the next champion. Jamie slowly fell asleep on the car ride home.