Chapter 11: Frankel is stolen

The big race is a few weeks away and Jamie couldn't wait to prove everyone wrong. Jamie went outside to check on her horse but when she got to his stall, he wasn't there. "Frankel?" Jamie said to herself. Jamie's eyes went from joy to fear. Jamie ran back inside to tell her parents. 

"Mom! Dad!" Jamie said as her heart raced. "What's wrong, sweetie?" Amanda asked running down the stairs. "Frankel is gone!" Jamie said. "What?!" Tim said as he came from the living room. "We have to find him!" Jamie said with tears rushing down her cheeks like a waterfall. "Don't worry sweetie, we will find him." Tim said trying to calm Jamie down. "If something happens to him, I don't know what I am going to do." Jamie said. Tim gave Jamie a hug. "I promise nothing will happen to him. We will find him." Tim said calmly. 

"Where should we look first?" Amanda asked. "We can check the shelter." Tim said. "Dad, he won't be at the shelter. Frankel didn't just run off. I think he was stolen." Jamie explained. "I know but it will still be good to check. If he was stolen who knows where they have taken him. We have to look at every possible place." Tim said. Jamie nodded then climbed into the truck. Jamie had to skip school that day. Her horse was way more important.

Tim and Jamie had finally arrived at the shelter. Jamie raced inside. "Hello, can I help you?" A tall lady asked sitting behind a desk. She had brown hair that was in a bun and she was wearing black glasses. "Have you had any new horses come in recently?" Tim asked. "Yes, we have. Come." The lady motioned them to the stalls. Jamie looked down the isle of horses but didn't see Frankel. "We have this new horse that came in yesterday. He used to be a race horse." The lady pointed at a grey stallion. It wasn't just any horse, it was Thunderstorm. "No way." Jamie mumbled to herself. "Isn't he beautiful?" The lady asked. "Yeah. I know him. I know the girl that used to own him." Jamie said. "Why did she give him up?" The lady asked. "Well, his owner isn't the nicest girl around. Her name is Samantha Waters." As Jamie was explaining she was interrupted. "Oh my gosh! This horse belonged to Samantha Waters. She is my favorite jockey!" The lady said in excitement. "She gave him up because she fell off of him." Jamie continued. "Oh. Well hopefully he finds a good home." The lady said. "Yeah." Jamie replied. A tear dropped from Jamie's cheek. She felt bad for Thunderstorm. 

"Well, the horse we are looking for isn't here. Thank you though." Jamie said as another tear appeared. "What's the horse you are looking for?" The lady asked. "Mine. He is a bay gelding. His name is Frankel. I bought him about a month ago and today I was heading to the barn to check on him and he was gone." Jamie explained. "That's weird. Do you have a picture of him?" The lady asked. Jamie pulled out her phone and found a picture of Frankel. She faced the phone in front of the lady. The lady put her hands on her knees and lowered her glasses. "He is beautiful. I will keep an eye out for him." The lady said. "Thank you." Jamie said. "You're welcome." The lady replied. "Well, let's go Jamie." Tim said. "What about Thunderstorm? We can't just leave him here. He deserves better." Jamie said. Tim smiled and nodded. "Hey ma'm, how much is Thunderstorm?" Tim asked. "$500" The lady replied. Tim handed out $500 in his palm and gave it to the lady. Tim loaded Thunderstorm into the trailer. "I want him to find a good home. Maybe we could work with him and sell him to a good family." Jamie suggested. "That's a great idea." Tim replied. 

"We have to find Frankel now." Jamie said. "Honey, listen. I doubt we will find him. Who knows where he is by now. We can put posters up and see if anyone has seen him." Tim explained. "Dad, Frankel was stolen." Jamie said with a tear. "How do you know that, Jamie?" Tim asked. "I just do. I can feel it. Frankel wouldn't just run off, I know him." Jamie explained. "Well, posters can still help." Tim said. "No. I am not just going to put posters everywhere and just forget about my horse. I am going to find him!" Jamie snapped. "Honey we will. It will take some time though." Tim said. Jamie rolled her eyes then climbed in the truck. They drove home and Jamie ran into her room then slammed her door shut. Tears started pouring down her face. She laid down and she couldn't stop thinking about her horse. "Is he okay?" "Is he safe?" "Will we find him?" was questions that were racing through her mind. 

As Jamie thought about everything. She started coming up with a conclusion. Jamie thought about all the things Samantha said to her. She remember Samantha saying that their will be pay back. Then Jamie remembered Samantha trying to buy Frankel and she remembered that she was selling Thunderstorm. Samantha wouldn't have sold Thunderstorm unless she already had another horse. It all leads down to...."Samantha stole my horse." Jamie spoke. Jamie rose up and her anxiety kicked in. She had to tell her parents. She ran down the stairs into the living room. "Mom and dad, I know where Frankel is." Jamie said. "Where?" Amanda asked. "Samantha." Jamie replied. "Why would Samantha steal your horse?"  Tim asked. "Why wouldn't she? She has been planning something and I know this was her plan. She doesn't want me to race because she knows I am able to beat her. So, her only option was to steal my horse and use him." Jamie explained. "Who is this Samantha girl?" Amanda asked. "She is the one who made me fall off at my last race." Jamie replied. "The girl you raced against?" Amanda asked. "Yes." Jamie replied. 

Tim stood up from his chair and took a deep breath. "We will get him back but we won't be able to today. We have no idea where she lives. But there is a mini race tomorrow, I am sure Samantha will be there." Tim explained. "Then we are going there tomorrow and we are going to get my horse back." Jamie said. "Yes we will."  Tim said. Amanda smiled.