Chapter 13: Thunderstorm

It was Friday afternoon and Jamie's cousin was coming over. Jamie's cousin is having a birthday and she wants to have her party at Jamie's house. Her name was Claire. She is turning nine. Claire was Jamie's favorite cousin. 

Jamie and her parents got Claire's party ready. They put up pink balloons, they picked out a Disney princess cake, and they got pink cupcakes. Jamie picked out a model horse to give to Claire. Jamie waited impatiently for Claire to come. "I can't wait for her to see Frankel." Jamie said. "She will love him." Tim said. 

A few minutes later, a car pulled up the driveway. "Claire's here!" Amanda said. Jamie ran outside to greet her cousin. First Claire's parents hopped out of the car. Claire's father was named Carl and Claire's mother was named Kim. Then a little girl with a pink dress came out of the car. She had blonde hair and it was braided. Jamie ran up to her and gave her a big hug. "I missed you so much!" Jamie said in excitement. "I missed you too." Claire replied. "Come on and I will show you the decorations and the cake." Jamie said. "Okay." Claire replied. Claire took Jamie's hand then they walked inside. "It's all pink!" Claire said in excitement. "Yep, just for you."  Jamie said. Jamie walked Claire over to the cake. "I love it!" Claire said. "I knew you would." Jamie replied with a smile. A few minutes later, Amanda, Tim, Kim, and Carl walked into the kitchen. "Happy birthday, Claire." Amanda said with a smile. "Thank you." Claire replied. 

They all sat at the table and ate pizza. "Jamie, I heard you got a horse. Tell me about him." Kim spoke. Jamie smiled. "His name is Frankel. He is a bay gelding. He is super sweet, caring, and has the biggest heart. He is also very fast. We have a big race coming up in a few weeks. Me and Frankel love racing. It's so much fun." Jamie explained. "Wow! I am surprised your mother let you race." Kim said. "It took a lot of begging." Jamie said smiling at her mother. Amanda smiled back. "It sure did. But as long as Jamie loves it, I am okay with it." Amanda said. "Can I see your horse?" Claire asked. "Of coarse. We will after we eat." Jamie said. Claire nodded then finished her pizza. Barney came in a few moments later very slowly. "Barney hasn't been himself lately." Jamie said. "I know. I am worried about him. I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow." Amanda replied. Jamie nodded. "Jamie, I finished my pizza. Can I see your horse now?" Claire asked. "Yes, come on." Jamie replied. "Don't be out for too long, Claire. We will be eating cake later and opening presents last." Kim said. "Okay mommy." Claire replied. 

Jamie walked Claire out to the barn. "You have two horses, Jamie?" Claire asked. "Yeah. This is Thunderstorm. We bought him a few days ago. He used to be a race horse but his owner gave him up because she had fallen off. She blamed it all on him. So, now he lives here." Jamie explained. "I wonder what type of person would do that." Claire said. "Yeah.. It's terrible." Jamie said starting to get speechless. She still couldn't believe all the horrible things Samantha has done. "He is so pretty." Claire said. Claire's eyes started to sparkle. Jamie smiled. Jamie grabbed Claire's hand then showed her to Frankel. "This is my horse." Jamie said. Frankel nickered then lowered his head down so Claire could pet him. Claire giggled. "He is so sweet." Claire said. "I know. He is the best horse I could have ever asked for." Jamie said. "Jamie, do you think I could ever get a horse?" Claire asked. "Of coarse you can. If you're really determined and work hard for it, I am sure your parents would let you." Jamie replied. Claire smiled. 

"If I could get any horse, I would want Thunderstorm. I would call him Thunder for short. I would ride him everyday, take very good care of him, and love him forever." Claire said. Jamie had the biggest smile. Jamie was about to respond but was interrupted by her parents. "Jamie! It's time to come in!" Amanda yelled. "Come on." Jamie said. Jamie grabbed Claire's hand then they walked back to the house. 

"Mommy, I want a horse." Claire said running up to her mom. "Oh. Maybe when you get a bit older." Kim said in shock. She wasn't expecting that. "Come on Claire, let's go eat some cake." Jamie said. Claire nodded then followed Jamie into the kitchen. "Well, looks like your daughter is getting into horses as well." Amanda said with a smile. "Yeah, I don't know how to feel about that." Kim replied. "I know what you mean but you should have her take lessons. Let Claire do what she loves. I had to learn that the hard way." Amanda said. Kim smiled but didn't reply. They both walked into the kitchen to cut the cake. 

Claire tugged on Jamie's shirt. "What?" Jamie asked. "Would I be able to ride Thunder?" Claire asked with her eyes sparkling. "I don't know. We haven't ridden him yet so I don't know if he would be safe for you." Jamie replied. "Please, can we try?" Claire asked. "We can try." Jamie said softly. "Thank you." Claire said in excitement. "But you have to ask your mom." Jamie said. Claire nodded with a smile. 

As everyone started eating the cake, Claire decided to ask her mom about riding Thunderstorm. "Mommy, could I ride Jamie's horse?" Claire asked. "Frankel?" Kim asked in shock. "No, Thunder." Claire said. "Who's Thunder?" Kim asked. Jamie decided to join the conversation. "He is a new horse. We bought him a few days ago from the shelter. He used to be a race horse. He is actually a really sweet horse and I am sure Claire will be safe. I will test him out first before she gets on and I will make sure she has a helmet." Jamie explained. "Maybe she should ride Frankel, dear." Amanda suggested. "Mom, Frankel can't be ridden at the moment. He is on stall rest." Jamie reminded her mother. "What happened to him?" Kim asked. "It's a long story." Jamie said. Kim thought for a minute. "Alright, but she has to be very careful." Kim said. Claire's eyes filled with joy. 

"I have a pair of riding clothes you can wear." Jamie said. Claire nodded then followed Jamie. "I grew out of these so I think they will fit you. Here is a shirt, a pair of breeches, and riding boots." Jamie said. "Thanks Jamie, I will meet you outside." Claire said. Jamie nodded then went outside to get Thunderstorm ready. 

Jamie led Thunderstorm to the cross ties and quickly groomed him. "Let me see if Frankel's old tack will fit you. Claire can't ride in a racing saddle." Jamie said to herself. Jamie grabbed Frankel's old western saddle and put it on Thunderstorm. It fit him perfectly. "This is perfect. Let's get your bridle on then lead you outside." Jamie said. Thunderstorm let out a very faint nicker. 

Jamie got Thunderstorm all tacked up and she led him outside. Claire waited impatiently.  "I am going to ride him first." Jamie said. Claire nodded. Jamie took a deep breath then mounted. "Good boy." Jamie said softly. "Be careful on him, sweetie. You have never ridden him before." Amanda said in worry. "I will mom." Jamie responded. "She has a way with horses. She understands them. I am sure Thunderstorm won't do a thing to intentionally hurt her." Tim said.

Jamie squeezed Thunderstorm's sides and went into a steady walk. "Nice." Jamie said. Jamie walked him in a few tight circles. 

"He seems like a sweet horse." Kim said. "I told you, mommy." Claire said. 

Jamie squeezed Thunderstorm's sides again and went into a trot. Jamie smiled. Jamie clucked then went into a canter. "Good boy." Jamie said. Thunderstorm was enjoying the encouragement. He never got that with Samantha. Jamie slowed Thunderstorm down then dismounted. "He is amazing. I promise Claire will be safe. I will lead him." Jamie said. Kim nodded then allowed Claire to get on. Jamie picked up Claire then sat her on top of Thunderstorm. "He's so tall." Claire said with a giggle. "That's good because you will never grow out of him." Jamie said. Jamie patted Thunderstorm then started walking him. "Good boy." Jamie said softly. Claire couldn't stop smiling. "I love him." Claire spoke. Jamie smiled. 

Jamie let go of the reins with full trust in Thunderstorm and let Claire have control. "Just tell him where you want to go. Make sure you look where you want to go, squeeze with either your left or right leg depending on which direction, then slowly move your reins to the direction you want to go." Jamie instructed. Claire nodded. Jamie smiled as she watched Claire ride. 

"That's amazing." Kim said. "I told you. Jamie has a gift." Tim said. "She does indeed." Kim said. 

"Alright, to stop him you're going to pull lightly on the reins." Jamie instructed. Claire nodded then stopped Thunderstorm. "Great job, Claire." Jamie said. Claire smiled. "Thank you for letting me ride him." Claire said. "No problem." Jamie replied. Jamie helped Claire down and Claire immediately gave Jamie a hug. 

Claire ran over to her mom and gave her a hug. "Did you have fun?" Kim asked with a smile. "Yes, I did. I wish I could keep Thunder. I love him so much." Claire said. "We'll find you a horse in the future."  Kim said. Claire nodded then started going to the car. "Wait, I have something for her." Jamie said. "I will hold Thunderstorm." Tim said. Jamie nodded then ran to give Claire her gift. 

"Claire, this is for you." Jamie said. Jamie handed the gift to Claire. Claire quickly opened it to find a model horse that looked just like Thunderstorm. "It's Thunder." Claire said. Jamie smiled then gave Claire a hug. "Happy birthday, Claire." Jamie said.