Chapter 25: Backseat Driver

Abby quickly grabs the phone from David's hand and presses the button to end the call. She whispers into her adopted father's ear. "Time's up David."

David is startled, he risks taking his eyes off the road to look at her, "Abby? Geez, I thought you were asleep. Why did you take the phone? I was talking to someone, can I have it back?"

Abby is defiant. "No."

David sternly tries again. "Abby, give me the phone, right now."

She leans in closer and raises her voice a bit. "I said no."

"Abby, if you don't give me the phone right now, I'm gonna pull this car ov..." David suddenly stops mid-sentence. He feels something very sharp pressed into the side of his neck. "That hurts! What is that?"

Abby warns in a most serious voice. "It's a very large, very sharp knife. It will take a minimal amount of pressure to puncture your skin."

David still tries to discipline the five year old psychopath. He raises his voice, "What do you think you're doing? Where did you get a knife? Who do you think you ar..."

Abby pushes the knife further into David's neck and shushes him, "Shhh."

"Oww, stop that this instant! You can't do this. You're five years old."

"You're right, David, I'm five, so you'd be wise not to underestimate me."

"Abby you'd better..."

She applies an even greater force to the knife. "Stop talking and listen to me very carefully."

David decides it would be prudent to obey. "Okay, okay... I'll listen... just don't stab me."

"The knife is aimed at the largest vein in your neck; the jugular. If you make any sudden moves, or try anything, I will cut you. If you try wake your family up or stop the car, I will cut you; you will be dead within thirty seconds. Do you understand?"

David doesn't dare attempt anything. He keeps both hands tightly gripping the wheel. "Yes. Alright. Just tell me what's going on. Why you're doing this? Why us?"

"I didn't choose you. You chose me. "

"But, why are you like this, Abby?"

"Because this is who I am and this is what I was taught to do."

"Taught? Who taught you to be this way?"

Abby doesn't like where the questions are headed. She gives the knife a slight twist. The blade digs deeper into his skin. "No more talking. Just drive."

David can feel the knife has broken through his skin. He gets a tickling sensation as a drop of blood runs down his neck. He knows his family is in grave danger but he still doesn't fully comprehend what Abby is capable of. All he can think about is the time frame he was given for his life. If Abby were to cut him, he would be dead within thirty seconds. David badly wants to make a move, yet, he fears making a hasty mistake could cost him or his family their lives. For the time being, David conforms to Abby's demands.

Abby watches out of the front window. She waits for the opportunity she has been looking for. Her plan hasn't gone exactly as she had intended. David's phone call has forced her to improvise a bit. Her attack was supposed to be quick and unexpected.

Abby feels the phone start to vibrate within her hand. She looks at the screen and sees the name: Nancy Young. She rejects the call.

***