0.8

62 Days Clean.

Fastening the last button on my blouse, I straightened it out in the mirror before tucking it into my black work pants. Humming along to the mellifluous tone of Alex Gaskarth's voice, I examined myself in the mirror. The black blouse blended straight into the black pants, making me look as if I was wearing a playsuit. Brushing it off indifferently, I tied my hair up in a ponytail and made a makeshift headband with a black bandana.

"If these sheets were the states and you were miles away, I'd fold them end over end to bring you closer to me. Because I don't sleep at all without you pressed up against me, I settle for long distance calls, I'm lost in empty pillow talk again."

Smiling to myself, I sprayed my neck with perfume and then adjusted my necklace, letting it lay limp underneath my blouse. Walking to the end of my unmade bed, I slipped my black Vans on my feet before grabbing my bag and exiting my room.

You may think I'm punk rock with my bandana and Vans but truthfully, I'm wearing blue socks with elephants on them.

"Hey, Shan!" Beth whisper-shouted, walking out of her bedroom with a half asleep expression on her face. Pulling my earbuds out of my ears and letting them fall, I turned to face her.

"Morning, Beth." I whispered, smiling. I was in a great mood this morning, don't ask me why. I was really looking forward to going out today, the thought of going for a run later sent endorphins flying around my body.

"Give me your phone, right now." She demanded, padding over to me on her bare feet and holding her hand out. Furrowing my eyebrows together, I handed her the phone and waited as she typed.

"What are you doing?" I asked her, feeling self-conscious. Hushing me sharply, Beth continued to type away hastily until she glanced at me and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Quick-fire round: popcorn or nachos?" she said, a slight smirk on her lips. Looking at her strangely, I bit down on my lip.

"Nachos?" I said slowly. Beth nodded at me, and typed for a moment more before handing me back my phone. "What was that all about?" I asked her.

"Just text Nacho on your phone and tell them it's Shanley, you'll understand later." She informed me, grinning at me before giving me a quick hug. After she pulled away, she darted back to her room before I could ask her another question.

Shaking my head, I grabbed my keys and walked out the door. After locking it behind me and placing the keys in my bag, I began the short walk to work. Just as I neared the end of the hill that our apartment block was placed on, I decided to take out my phone and text Nacho.

Um hey... Beth just told me to text this number so, I'm going to presume she knows who you are. Anyway, this is Shanley :) do you mind me asking, who is this?

Clicking send, the message turned blue indicating I was texting another Apple device. I slipped my phone back into my pocket just as I approached the door of the hotel. Pushing open the heavy door, I proceeded to walk down the carpeted entrance until I reached the glass doors of the restaurant.

"Mornin' Shan." Derek, my co-worker smiled at me. Shooting him back a reply and a smile, I walked into the back room and headed towards my locker. Quickly entering the pin, I opened the metal door and placed my bag inside. Just as I was about to lay my phone down, I checked to see if Nacho had replied but, my screen was empty of texts. Flicking my phone onto silent, I shut the locker door and began my shift of work.

***

As the clock struck six, I wiped down my last table of the day and smiled at the couple exiting the restaurant. Heading back into the kitchen with the dirty cutlery and delph, I placed them on the dish trolley and headed into the back room. Today had been pretty quiet, thankfully. Derek and I weren't run off our feet but we still didn't have time to sit back and relax.