37

I eyed the police station with slight nervousness in my stomach, a police station always reminded me of all the bad things that happen in the world, these are the places people go when bad people happen to them. Police stations are the home of bad news, terrible stories and tragic cases. With a sigh, I marched forward through the wide, brown double doors and into the reception area of the police station. A middle aged man sat behind a glass window, he was the only person I could see at the moment.

There was a black door with a code above the handle which led into the office that the man behind the glass was in. There was an elevator across the other side of the room and set of stairs beside it. I approached the police officer behind the glass with a friendly smile, I gently placed my hands on the small bit of wood separating the glass. I felt like a child, I felt like when I was little and mum would send me into the shop to get milk and I'd barely be able to reach the counter.

"Hey miss, how can I help you today?" The officer greeted as he put the pen in his hand down.

"Well em, I'm not sure who I should be talking to about this, but eh somebody has been harassing me and my husband. There have been threats made towards us, I'm quite terrified to be honest." I explained, I felt heat rush to my cheeks with slight embarrassment as the officer stared back at me.

"What's your name?" I glanced up from my hands to the officer who was waiting for me to answer.

"Jessica, Jessica Maynard." I replied clearly.

"Okay, Jessica. I'm going to call an officer down and then you can tell what has happened and we can see how we can help." The officer told me as he picked up the phone beside him.

I waited in a seat for a few minutes before a taller officer appeared from the stairs near the elevator, he was younger than the officer behind the desk and his eyes were a warm brown.

"Miss Maynard?" I nodded in return and the officer motioned for me to follow him up the stairs.

There were a few offices on the second floor and I followed the tall officer until he stopped at a desk near the corner of the room and urged me to take a seat.

"I'm Detective Barclay, how may I help you?" The officer introduced himself.

"Jessica Maynard." I responded and shook his outstretched hand.

"I was at a small party with my husband at my brother's apartment the other night, my husband and I left around midnight and when we arrived home I found a note outside our door." I started and reached into my bag to pull the note out and I handed it to the officer.

I watched as he read it carefully with furrowed eyebrows and placed it neatly on the table looking at me to continue.

"I suffer from anxiety and I get worked up over things very easily and this note scared me into having a panic attack. My husband managed to calm me down and told me not to worry about it, but I was still terrified so the next day I went to my brother to tell him about it and my friends. My husband dropped me off and as I was waiting for my brother to answer the door, I received a text message from an unknown number with a threat to my husband." I recounted and passed my phone to the detective with the message opened.

"Okay, Miss Maynard. These are signs of threats, but I'm afraid the note won't be much good to track since we have no hand writing samples to compare it to, but we can try to track the phone number. You're very brave for coming here, I'll do my very best to help you out. For now, I'm going to give you my number Incase anything else happens and you can call me and I will get working on this straight away. Let me just get a copy of that text message and I will keep the message and the note as evidence which may be useful in the future." Detective Barclay informed and I nodded in return.