Chillin'

Keith- One Month Later
Walking down the street around the block from my neighborhood after work at night is dangerous, but I learned that most of those fears are in my head. I take a couple of shortcuts to shorten the length of my trip in order to get home.

I got one of my beats headphones in bopping to the playlist Evelyn made and sent to me. It's a mixture of Afrobeats and Caribbean music. I'm actually feeling it. In my hands I hold some groceries that my mom made me buy from the store, as usual.

It's a Friday night and that means the usual party at Jacari's apartment. The trap music is so loud I can hear it as I round the corner down his block. There's some people hanging out on his apartment building steps smoking and drinking. To avoid the crowd, I cross the street to the other side to walk.

People talking loudly and laughing. That use to be me and could be me now, but I'm trying to focus on school and making sure my moms and siblings straight.

"Shut the fuck up, Nina!"

"Why don't you respect me, 'Cari? You did that shit while I was in the same house as you?"

I pause for a moment and turn around at the familiar voices. Nina and Jacari are arguing loudly outside building. People either laugh at the argument or ignore them.

"I do whateva the hell I want. Imma grown ass nigga! And like I said, I ain't do nothing with the bitch in the room."

"Really? So why the door closed and y'all was gone for a good hour? Fucking Keisha told me she heard sex noises coming from the room." Nina at this point is on the verge of tears.

"Fuck Keisha! Bitch, I told you we ain't do shit. All we did was smoke and chill."

"You think I'm some dumb bitch?! I swear getting with you was one huge mistake because you ain't shit!" She screams at him,"That's why I've been fucking another nigga."

At that, Jacari slaps the shit outta Nina. Nina falls back on the floor and holds her face.

"That's what the bitch gets!" Someone yells.

Other people agree and nod their heads. The others are too scared to go jump in and go against Jacari. I sigh as my conscience tells me to do what's right. Damn it. Putting my bags down, I walk across the street to confront Jacari.

Jacari hovers over Nina and yells at her to "Get the fuck up" and "Get inside".

"Yo, chill nigga!" I yell pushing him away from her.

Jacari falls onto the ground and cusses. I help Nina up to her feet and she gives me a meek smile.

"Thank you," She mumbles.

Jacari comes up to me and punches me in the face. Warm liquid gushes out of my nose. I swing for his gut and miss. Behind me, I feel someone grab my arms and hold them behind my back.

"You gonna learn today," Jacari spits while setting up his fists.

He takes a swing at my abdomen and I reel over in pain.

"Fuck you." I curse.

He smiles at me before swinging again and again. The arms behind me are tight so can't pull away. My body weakens as I cough up blood.