My Birthday (V)

(Puck's Point of View)

"Stop her. At once." I sigh in frustration. "Fine. As you wish, master." I grumble in disagreement at Oberon's request. I'm all for saving mortals, but Oberon's been a pain lately. It just gets irritating. He's essentially a big child masquerading in a demi-god's body. I walk towards the screaming. "I'm so...fucking...WORTHLESS!!" I flinch at the harsh words. "Geez..." I mumble. Mortals have a tendency to be really mean to themselves for no reason. Like, I'm not even feeling that way and it's hurting me. I hide in the bushes to look at exactly what's happening. She flinches. Yikes. She heard me. I decide to move closer to her and teleport to the bush right in front of her. She starts freaking out. "J-Just kill me already!" She screams. I sigh. She starts looking around frantically. "W-What....is happening?" I walk out from the bushes behind me.

"What...is that..?"

"Please stop..." I mumble, getting closer to the lady sitting below me. It seems that she sees me, which is interesting, considering that wasn't my choice. I look her up and down. She's tall, like a silver fir, but with the emotion of a weeping willow. I notice she's bleeding, yet she's the one holding the knife. I find this...perplexing. I attempt to slowly approach her as to not startle her before noticing the half-eaten Angel's Nectar. I slowly start putting pieces together. "Ah...You're trying to see more than your mind offers. Escaping reality, huh? You should be careful. Mortals don't digest Angel's Nectar very easily." I pick up the fungus and finish it off for myself, enjoying the tasty treat. "Also, it's kinda rude that you didn't finish your meal, but..." I trail off, thinking about other trivial things. She picks up the knife on the ground next to her with both hands and points it towards me. I see her arms shaking with fear. I scoff at the gesture. I slowly get close to the knife and with the tip of my finger, I slowly move it away from my face.

"Incorrect."

I grab the knife with my mind and fling it through the air. It falls just close enough to still be seen.

"A-Are you...God?" She asks in a shaky voice. I turn to look at her once more, freeze, and uncontrollably crack up. "Aww!!" I squeal with excitement. "You're close." I giggle. She's frozen. I immediately disappear and teleport right in front of her face.

"I'm the devil."

She screams in utter terror and attempts to turn around and start running.

"No! Wait! I'm sorry!!" I scream after her. I sigh and teleport myself on a branch a couple trees in front of her. Once she arrives, I swing upside down on the branch. "Wait!" I yell. She sadly reacts a bit late, causing her and me to collide foreheads. She falls back from the impact and I allow myself to fall from the tree, also hitting the top of my head on the ground in the process. "Owwwwww..." I groan. As I flip over, I sit down whilst rubbing my head. "Hard-headed humans..."

She's on the ground writhing in pain and tears are streaming from her eyes. She starts sobbing. She curls herself up into a ball. Through the muffled crying, I hear her attempt to say "Why does this keep happening to me?" For a second, I just stop to look at her. My heart aches. A worried expression covers my face.

Her crying tones down and I slowly kneel down to her. I tap her shoulder to get her attention and once she looks at me, I hold her hands and make her sit up. She complies. I wrap my arms around her. "Please don't cry, pretty lady..." I whisper.

She wraps her arms around me tightly and squeezes, allowing herself to cry on my shoulder. "Why am I not dead?" She mumbles. My chest feels a sting of sadness. I half-smile. "Maybe this world didn't want you to go just yet." I let go of the hug and gently lay her down on the grass. "It's very late. You've been sleeping for a while now." "Wh-What?..." She mumbles, not even noticing I'm putting her to sleep. "Sh..." I cajole her. I gesture to the ground, making buds of lotus flowers rise and grow from the grass. They flower around her. I gently pick the flowers and place them in her tangled hair. Her eyes are halfway shut. As I place them, I hear fluttering behind me. I groan and turn around.

"Do you mind?!" I yell at the fairies hiding in and behind the trees. Among them are Oberon and Titania. "How cute." Titania beams. "I AM TRYING TO PUT HER TO SLEEP," I yell, frustrated and flustered that they saw me with the human. I look at them, and they look at me in a smug silence. Titania looks at me and nods in the girl's direction. I give her a puzzled look before looking back at the girl and noticing she's fallen asleep. "There. I did it." Oberon nods to Titania and the fairies leave, Titania's train giggling away at my embarrassment.

"You know I dislike that," I grumble, trying to gain back my composure. Oberon walks over to me and pats my head. "I just find it cute." He smiles and chuckles. I sigh. He grabs the knife laying on the ground and snaps the blade in half, accidentally cutting his finger in the process. "Owee." He says. I roll my eyes as soon as he starts regenerating and immediately healing himself. "I believe we're done here," I say, beginning to walk off.

"And I believe we're not," Oberon says and stops me dead in my tracks, not allowing me to move any further. He kneels down and presses his hand to her bloody thigh, healing her wounds. She moves around and groans in her slumber. "Be careful..." I half-whisper, hoping he won't hear my concern. "I won't hurt her, gentle Puck." He says with a smirk. He gently picks her up and she remains limp in his arms. "Follow." He tells me. And with that, he teleports out of sight. I grudgingly teleport to his location.

Out of nowhere, music blasts through my ears, almost deafening me. We're next to a vehicle with an open door. My body quickly reacts to getting startled, forcing me to make some weird karate-like gesture. "Puck, get in the car." He yells over the music. I panic. "The what?! I don't know how to use these things!!" He looks at me. "Get in." I stomp my foot to the ground and yell. "NOT BEFORE IT STOPS SCREAMING AT ME!!" Oberon starts chuckling and snaps his fingers, stopping the vehicle's noise. He tries to contain his laughter as he carefully places the lady on the seat. She starts to move around in her slumber. "Come. We must go before she awakens." Oberon teleports.

"You'll be okay, right?" I ask, expecting a reply back for some reason. Her flowers have all fallen out of her hair, so I pick one up and place it back in, tucking it behind her ear. I gently close the door to the vehicle.

"...Right." I tell myself. And I teleport away.