03. An Illustrated History of Lusty Barbarians

My medical licence has only been issued for fifteen months.
And for fifteen months a cold war has been commenced without the two sides even realising it.

Perhaps, that is why it has been prolonged for so long.

A strident clatter of laughter resounds-- disrupting me the hypotheses within. It's coming from the library.

Shaking my head, I follow where the chorus is coming from with a smile.

There are two curved gaps in the walls-- one gap further leads to the rooms and dining hall-- while the other ventures into the library and Grande Sala.
As soon as I enter the Grande Sala, the melody of a piano embraces me with open arms.

"Ingram lad, why do you--" Henry, my brother junior of five years, says with a drained posture.

"Come on, Knightley!" Timothy Ingram, the son of our acquaintances, stands with slumped shoulders.

Both of Henry and Timothy's coats are placed on the piano.

Isabelle, Henry's and my younger sister of ten years, turns around from her stool till her blue stoned gaze finds me. The same gaze as Mother's and my own.

The rest of the two follow her suit.

Henry starts,
"Brother, come! I am trying--"

"Woefully," Timothy interrupts-- Isabelle hides her chuckles.

Henry rolls his eyes.
"Trying to help these two-- or rather only Timothy-- understand the dreadfulness of ballroom dancing."

"You say it as though that is not my area of expertise, brother." Isabelle puts a hand on her chest for emphasis.

Arm behind my back, I saunter across the hall and sit beside Isabelle on the stool.

"If my rather lethargic memory, as you put it, aids me then is not Materia Medica is your area of expertise?" Henry wags an eyebrow.

The mention of the study of drug reminds me of the ones I had to suggest earlier.

A crow caws from behind us-- we ignore it.

Henry then turns to me and waves his arms about-- acting more the five-and ten year olds than the latter are themselves.
"Matthew, have you seen the plants she grows in her room? I swear something in them makes me dizzy."

Timothy palms his forehead as I laugh-- but passes a silent smile towards my sister.

Isabelle, on the other hand, has her chin up.
"And have you seen his arithmetics papers? They seem more like a dosage of scarlet fever."

Henry rubs his chin and looks at both Timothy and me-- we merely shrug.
He then points at Isabelle-- who is shifting her gaze back and forth after the silence.

"You're learning well, Belle, very well. Il tuo contatore ha fatto anche me pensare."

Your counter made even me think.

Isabelle shakes her head-- veiling a triumphant grin.

"I tuoi giorni meravigliosi sono iniziati, Henry."

Your marvelling days have started, Henry.

"How much of the calculations are left?" I say.

Henry turns around, only to wave a hand.
"Only the final revenue of this month's rents and produce. I'll finish it in the morn."

That means I have to complete it after everyone goes back to their quarters.

Wonderful.