50. My Own Scoundrel

Pushing away; broken kiss; glaze in her eyes...

What happened, Tilda…

Her face, almost on the verge, stays with me even as the background flies by in flashes. I run and run and run like a madman. Though mad men run away from hospitals, not towards them.

My feet break into a halt, upper body almost knocking into the doctor.
Doctor Hopkins wards me off, while I steady myself.
“Why, you're certainly in a hurry.”
His eyes scan over me, only for a moment.

My ears redden slightly. I made sure to check myself in the ward's staff washrooms before anyone saw me with ruffled hair and swollen lips.
“Was, was in a hurry to come back here.”

Doctor Hopkins raises a playful brow, probably unaware that I was even outside hospital grounds.
But he doesn't ask more, only pats me on the shoulder.
“Now, why don't we both return to the ward? I reckon that's where you're wanted.”

“Of course.” My fingers pull at my coat.

Turning around, Doctor Hopkins throws back a glance and my feet pitter patter after him. The symmetrical white walls and staff and patients pass by us, all busy in their own affairs.

“You know your father asked me about you,” Doctor Hopkins says, adjusting his spectacles.

I glance at him.
“And what did you say?”

“I said you’re a responsible doctor determined to serve mankind.” He makes a halo in the air and a choking sound echoes from me. Someone next to me jumps at the sound.
The doctor furrows his brows.
“Though, do tell me when you're off on an adventure next time.”

I raise a brow.
“You want to join, too?”

Doctor Hopkins shakes his head,
“No, but knowing where you are helps me make excuses. Especially when Percival Knightley comes to visit me in my office and asks for you.”

That stops me in my tracks.
“He was here?”

“Your father visits me sometimes, mostly for medical advice.”
The doctor stops walking, and rubs his bearded chin.
“And sometimes he asks me about how you are working.”

Ripples descend on my forehead.

“But today he asked to meet you,” Doctor Hopkins sighs.
“I thought you were here, but then the peon told me he couldn't find you anywhere.
I told your father that you were dealing with a critical patient.”
He pulls out a pocket watch from his coat and frowns when it clicks open. Exactly the way David used to do. David Hopkins, his son.

Doctor Hopkins’s narrowing eyes bring me back to the present.
Faking a smile, I shake my head.
“Thank you for covering for me.”

“Least I could do for one of my own scoundrels.” The doctor grins.

“One of my own scoundrels. I'm almost jealous,” I say.

The both of us start walking again and now the door of the ward greets us.
I push it open.

Doctor Hopkins shrugs.
“Good mentors sometimes succumb to favouritism for their scoundrels.”
But the hint of a smile never leaves him while our ways separate to different wards.
Still a maelstrom in me threatens to during work.

The rest of the day passes like a whiplash of events: disjointed, time consuming and tiring

Orange light traipses into my office, signaling a few extra hours on my shift.

Sighing with hung shoulders, I cross to the curtains to close them. But stop at the chance of colour on my desk.

I did come here at 5 O’ clock, around the time I'm normally at home, if not on duty. And now...

A bouquet full of fresh lilacs sits there. Instead of sliding the curtains, I pick up the flowers instead. A pair of white and red roses lies alone in the centre, with a note sticking out. Tilting my head, I open the note. It reveals Tilda's handwriting, saying, “You have been in every line I have read.” I flip over the note, noticing the words itched on it lean margins: "Happy birthday, Matthew."

Tilda...

The note and my thoughts bind me, two fingers on my lips.
Relaxing into the chair, I stay in the office with the book in my lap till the orange light turns into the night blue.

I actually needed 5th September to be on Friday in 1884 AND IT ACTUALLY WASI cannot believe my luck lol

I cannot believe my luck lol.

Spring break's ending tomorrow so I'm kind of not ready for uni AT ALL.
Oh well, only 1 month till summer break *forgets about the exams before them*

Anyway, have a happy Easter to everyone who's celebrating ♥️

Have a great week!
Love,
MS Zame