23. Expecting Damnation

"Good afternoon, I would like to withdraw some money from my account."

The clerk lifts his head from his papers, clicking his spectacles.
"Of course, sir. Can you give me the particulars of your account?"

Nodding, I give him all the required details, all the while my eyes keep sweeping across the bank.

After some rummaging, he buries himself under the desk, searching for the right paperwork.

At that moment, my eyes narrow to the small piece of parchment lying on the floor.
Parchment similar to the notes I've been receiving.

I pick it up-- pocketing it-- as soon as the clerk brings forth a piece of paper and pen.
He points at the bottom of the parchment and hands me the pen.
"I'll need your signature here to prove it's the right person withdrawing his money."

"Of course."
I take the pen and write my signature, mind still on the parchment burning my pocket.

"I take the pen and write my signature, mind still on the parchment burning my pocket

Before entering the inn, I glimpse at the parchment again, even after reading it a thousand times

"Their dread turns with: they yearn for what they fear."

That's what Charon told Dante about the damned souls in Inferno.
About them preferring damnation because their hearts are void of divine grace...

Sighing, I shove the parchment back into my pocket and push open the inn door.
The open windows barely compensate for the inn's dim lighting.
People, mostly men with a few women, sit with their drinks, some harassing the sighing waiter while other solemnly sit and watch.
A cloying floral scent fills the air, mostly coming from the ones with constricted pupils.

And one of the watchers is Crimley.
He grins at me from his table and whispers something to the man sitting in front of him. The other one, Finley Dawson, glances over his shoulder. He nods, disappearing into the crowd.

"Why would ye pay me for just getting Crimley's handwriting?" Dawson's hands fidget.

I tip my hat at his sceptical posture.
"I'm paying you to get his handwriting and also showing me it's his. Discreetly, may I add."
Dawson frowns.