15. Dragon Winged Dress

The soft breeze blows against the field of lilac flowers. It bends and turns them delicately, reminding me of someone who did the same, only a few days ago.

I smile, eyeing the old chapel. The old vicar here was a civil man whose passing sealed its eventual abandonment. Everyone then started going to the new and grander church in the west.

"Wonderful chapel, by the way. Was only admiring its beauty."

"Before sunrise?" She smiles.

Even before I know it, my footsteps echo against the smooth marble of the chapel.

Sunlight struts into the stained glass windows, flamboyance scattering about.

Though, a chair in the far corner pulls back. And so does its occupant.

"I'm not even surprised anymore by our strange meetings, Mr--" She shakes her head. "Matthew."

I smile.

Mathilda walks into the light, the same colours caressing her smile, as well.

I tilt my head to the side.
"Why, I was beginning to enjoy your astonishment. Now I am only unfortunate to have lost it."
My feet step into the same radiance, arms behind my back.

"You haven't lost it. At least not yet."
Mathilda shakes her head and walks to the plain glass window on the left.

I walk to the same window.

A few more moments pass, both of us staying quiet.

That is till I say,
"My guess was that people who want to pray go where there are vicars and priests."

Mathilda looks up.
"Do they go to vicars and priests seeking memories?"

Both of us glance back the lilac field outside.

"Mother brought Della and me here when we were little.
Sometimes, I still come here on Sundays to..."

"To remember a time less complex?" One hand from my back comes forth, rubbing its fingers.

Mathilda nods slowly, but asks,
"Why did you come here?"

I shrug and point out of the window.
"My family and I live in a manor some distance from here; I was only strolling."

And then remembered when I saw you before the engagement.

My gaze travels to her vacant chair. A sewn dress lies there, along with needles and thread.

"You look at that dress as if it might sprout wings, Matthew."

"This is the first time I have heard of a dress becoming a dragon."
The corners of my lips perk up, leaning into the wall.
"But I was admiring your... choice."

Mathilda raises a brow, pulling her gaze away from the window.

"You are educated enough, from what I gathered from our conversations. Educated enough to work at any factory.
But you also know the working conditions and strenuous hours of those factories."

I point to the dress.
"Sewing and a bit of extra work, can almost earn you the same amount of money, without having to stay at the same place for an entire day."

My finger rubs my chin, as Mathilda blinks.
"If you ask me, you could become a nurse as well. Though, considering the way you were looking at the hospital when you came, I would say that isn't your preference."

Financial aids for nursing training may also be a cause.

When I look back at her, Mathilda has her arms folded across her chest. She only raises a brow, no taunt with it.
"That is all mostly true. But adding to the nursing part: the training requires quite of bit of money. And sewing is merely an extra job," she sighs, "My main work is with management and accounts."