Chapter 17 Real Fears

Katniss POV

 After storming back to my room I slammed the door and fell onto my bed. Why didn't Peeta help me? If he loves me he would, right? I don't care, no matter what what I do, they'll never let me leave here. A knock on my door cuts my thoughts.

"Katniss? I'm sorry, please let me in." Peeta says.

"No! You should have stuck up for me!" I yell. 

"I'm sorry, I just want you to be safe." 

"Safe? Having me cooped up here all day is gonna drive me crazy!" I yell. Than the door opens making me shoot up out of bed.

"I'm sorry, I just think they're right. I'm so afraid of losing you again." he says sitting down. At that moment I know how scared he really is.

"Why don't you just talk to me?" I ask wrapping my arm around his shoulder. 

"I don't know, I'm sorry Katniss. Why don't we go out for a while?" he asks. I smile and nod as we stand up. "Just stay close to me." I nod and we walk downstairs.

"Hey Rye, we're going out for a while. Be back later." I say. He looks up and see Peeta than nods. We walk outside and to the small market they have once a week in the town centre.

"So, what should we do?" he asks. I look around and see the bakery stand where dad is standing. We walk over and he smiles when he sees us.

"Hi sweetie, how you doing?" he asks. I shrug and look at the sweets he selling. "You want something?"

"Umm, can I have two cheese buns?" I ask. He nods and puts 5 in a small bag for me. "Thanks dad. I'll come by before night to help you clean up." he nods and Peeta and I walk away.

"Lets go to the park, we can cuddle and make out like kids." he says. I smile and as we're walking a boy crashes into me.

"Pay attention!" he yells but Peeta grabs his shirt collar and slams him against a tree.

"If you ever touch her again, I'll snap your neck!" he yells but I pull him away. "Now get lost!"

"Peeta! What was that?!" I ask as I get him to walk away.

"He hurt you! He wanted to take you!" he says. 

"No! He just bumped into me!" I say. He sits down and frowns.

"I'm so sorry Katniss. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean it." he says. I sit down next to him and take his hand.

"Peeta, I understand that you want to protect me. Its fine." he sits up and pulls me closer.

"But I can't lose you." he whispers leaning in. I have to understand what he went through looking for me. And I guess he'll calm down after a while.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so good, sorry. But I hope it was okay.

Nikki :)