Chapter 9

In Eddies dream, he was standing on top of a skyscraper looking down. Underneath him was no street, no cars, only black emptiness staring back at him, the building gave way, crumbling down as effortlessly as a house of cards. Eddie felt like his ankles were chained to the building beneath him, suddenly, he felt it, like a gate being opened beneath him like those trap doors in the movies and he started falling backwards. He could see it, getting farther and farther away now, until he finally- Eddie sat straight up in his bed in a cold sweat, his heart was beating erratically and he couldn't breathe. His legs were almost impossibly wrapped around the bedsheets and he looked over at the clock, 4:03 am.
Eddie knew this dream wasn't a coincidence, he knew it had to do with what kurt said about Chris. This was taking a toll on him, and he wondered if it was even worth it. He laid back down and eventually fell back to sleep.

The next morning he felt like he didn't sleep at all, his eyes were heavy, and he was bumping into everything. His mother kept looking at him with concern in her eyes, "Eddie? Eddie!" He accidentally ran into the table, and she flung herself off the couch, "Eddie, look at Me! Come sit down, I'm really worried about you lately. Is everything okay? I'm calling the doctor this can't be normal. Are yu dizzy, do you have Headaches?  Are you nauseous?" She was scurrying around the room talking 100 miles a minute. "Mom!mom, slow down. I'm fine. Everythings fine. There's no doctor needed. I don't have a headache, I'm not dizzy or nauseous. I had a bad sleep last night, okay? Calm down, I'll be just fine." Eddies mother let out a sigh, and looked half convinced. "Eddie, something's going on. It's Stone, isn't it? I get it. He's sweet, handsome, nice hair, cute smile. I'm sorry I've been bothering you. It took me a while to notice." Eddies jaw was pretty much on the floor. Yes, Stone was handsome, but no, just no. "Mom! That is not it at all! Yeah Stone is cute, but I don't have a thing for him and haven't in years. Since 7th grade, to be exact. I didn't sleep good at all, trust me. I had a dream I was falling into an abyss from a crumbling skyscraper. That should tell you right there." His mother rubbed her temples and groaned, "I'm sorry, hun. Go take a rest or something." Eddie nodded and slowly stood, trying to keep balance, just realizing he had a head-splitting headache.

He slept through the day my with occasional interruptions from his mother to bring him some water and check on him.

That night, he saw Chris leaning over the balcony again, looking concerned and even a little bit hurt. Eddie felt awful, but decided once again that night to stay inside. He almost saw Chris differently now. Not as his sweet, kind, beautiful neighbour, but as the man his mother said he was.