4

Another uneventful week at school is now over, and now it's Friday again. Almost the whole gang is hanging out at the Curtis'. I was playing cards with Steve and Soda while Ponyboy went to the movies. Suddenly, we heard some laughing from only one kind, the Socs. We then heard a groan and ran outside.

"What was that?" I say as we walk outside. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the Socs on top of someone with a blade, Ponyboy. Sodapop notices to and starts to chase the Socs. They ran into their car and left before they was any real damage from the Greasers.

Ponyboy was lying on the ground. "You okay Ponyboy?" Soda asks. Pony was slightly crying, and he shook his head. "They ain't gonna hurt you no more."

"Ponyboy you're bleeding." I point out. Ponyboy gingerly touches his cut and winces. "C'mon, I'll wash it."

We walk to the Curtis house and into their bathroom. I told him to put his head over the sink so I could reach his neck. I ran the warm water, using the bathroom cup to rinse off extra blood. He winces as the water glides over his cut. "Sorry Pony." I finish by wiping off the cut, putting ointment for infections on it, and bandaging it.

"Good as new." I say when I finally finish.

"Where's ya learn how ta do that?" He asks.

"Umm, I just learned as a kid I guess." I answer.

"Hey uh Ponyboy." Dally says, talking to us through the doorway. "Me and Johnny are gonna go to the drive-in later. Wanna come?"

He looks at me. I give him a nod, "Sure." He answers Dally.

Dally nods and walks off. "Are you sure?" Pony asks.

"Yeah no problem. I got homework. Have fun." I say and kiss him. We say I love you and kiss again, me feeling tingly all over. I tell bye to the boys  and I make my way home.

-

I look over at the clock, it's two in the morning. I'm laying in bed, wide awake. I do most of my thinking in bed, it's a relaxing way to be before sleeping usually. I sit up, as I've been trying to fall asleep for a while now. I walk out of my very tiny bedroom into the main part of the RV, and I notice the piano. My papers are scattered all over it and it looks sad. I walk over to it, sit down and sigh. I start to work on a new song I'm writing for a contest. Pony convinced me to join on that only cost me a dollar to enter. It's not due for a few weeks, but I want time to perfect it before it has to be turned in. The cash prize is $50.

I try to work on it, but I end up slamming my head into the keys.

'Oh my gosh, I remembered, my blanket!' I started making a blanket when Pony's parents passed away, then thought it was stupid and hid it. I find it in the hiding place that I put it in when I moved to my RV, under my dresser. I start to finish it. I didn't have to do much, as the blue yarn was already perfectly mixed with the white. I made sure the blanket would fit all around him when I first made it; but he's taller now, so it'll be a little short.

I thought to myself, 'Where to hide this so Pony doesn't see.' He likes to look through my stuff sometimes, and I don't want him finding it. The only place I could think of Pony not finding it was at Buck's, where Dally's staying.

I grab my jacket and start to walk. It's only a ways up the road, but it'll take at least ten minutes. You can see my cool breath in the air as I walk, thinking about Pony. Thinking about how his smile is so cute, and his eyes are beautiful, and how adorable he looks when he's frustrated or confused with schoolwork.

Before I know it, I'm already at Dally's. I walk right in the front door, through the front room and up the stairs. I've been here a few times before and I know my way around.

I knock on Dally's door. I don't hear an answer, just hides whispering. I knock again. Dally comes out with no shirt on and jeans, scowling. "Whatdya want?"

"Well I was going to ask you if I could keep this blanket for Pony here. He'll look any other place I could think of for hiding it?" I explain. I hear voices inside. "Who's in there?"

Dally sighs and opens the door to show Pony and Johnny sitting on his bed, looking scared to death. "What're you doin' here?" I ask them.

"We could ask the same." Pony says.

"You heard me." I said. My voice starts to sound disappointed. "I guess this is not a secret anymore."

Ponyboy sighs. "Johnny killed a Soc. We went to Dally for help."

"Oh yeah." Dally says. He grabs a gun, loads it, and grabs money from his bedside table. "Here's fifty bucks." He explains where they need to go, to a train to Windrixville and up to the abandoned church.

'Johnny killed a Soc?' I thought. 'I never thought he was capable of such a thing. Somebody must have been hurtin' him, or Pony.'

"Here." I give Ponyboy the blanket after Dally finished giving the boys directions. "It's cold up there."

"Thanks." He says and gets up. I kiss him goodbye.

"You're gonna miss the train." Dally says flatly. The boys and Dally walk down Yeah the stairs, and I watch them through Dally's window leave. I feel like crying. I don't want to have Johnny be put in jail or anything.

Dally comes back up. "Take his sweatshirt." He says, handing the wet sop of a sweatshirt to me.

I say thanks and leave Bucks. I start to think even more on the way back, and decided that I most likely wasn't going to sleep tonight.