9

We all kind of become shocked and worried. But, even though Dally was my buddy, I focused on my boyfriend. His face was bruised and had dried blood plastered down his chin.

"Pony c'mon I'll clean you up." I say. I put my hand on his back and guide him over to my supplies. I wipe the blood off his face and bandage them up. When I finish, I smile at him. He's frowning.

"How are you Pony?" I ask him concern in my voice. He doesn't answer. 'Oh no,' I thought, 'Not again.' He stands up, and I hug him. "I haven't seen you much since after the church."

"I know and I'm sorry. I was just tied up with Johnny." He apologizes in my ear. He moves his head down and buried it into my shirt. I understand, so I nod. Johnny was Pony's best buddy.

I guess I didn't realize Johnny was one of my best buddies too. I mean, I  I wasn't as close to him as Pony was, but I still really liked him. I would miss his greatly, his shy smiles and the way he looks at you, like he would always listen. He was the best listener. No, I can't think about him. It hurts too much. I push Johnny away.

I didn't realize that Darry had picked up the phone and was talking before he slams it down. "Dally's in trouble with the police. We've gotta hide him."

-

We've been running for a few minutes, as the park is only a mile from the Curtis' house. I faintly see a figure in the field. Then we heard it, multiple gunshots. We run even faster, Darry yelling for the police to stop.

He crawls onto the ground towards us when we get close to him. He turns onto his back, his wounds exposed, and he took his final breath. I start to cry, two deaths in one night. His eyes are open and look worried, so I bend down over his corpse and close them with my fingers delicately. He finally looks at peace, his eyes closed. I stand back up, trying to wiping my unceasing tears.

Darry keeps shouting at the police, clearly enraged. I glance over to Steve, his hands are up in surrender and he's shaking. Two's standing there in shock and Soda is too. Then I look at Pony.

He falls on the ground unconscious. Darry bends down to see if he's okay as me and Soda just look at him. I don't think I could move now, the realization now coming. I realize that I'm shaking and crying louder than I was before. I felt the slight touch of hands on my back, and I engulf whoever it was in a hug. I breathe in, 'Soda,' I thought, his cologne filling my nostrils.

And I cry, cry into Soda's shirt. Not only for Dally and Johnny, but for everyone in the gang. And anyone who's ever lost someone