Chapter II

I stumble out into the hallway, limping slightly because I never let Aunt Giry finish. Meg is already gone, so I drag myself back to my room. It's nearly nighttime, the day a dark, dark blue. It's not the best color, usually something dark is in store- a storm unlike any other. Christine Daae. The name repeats over and over in my head. It's like the center piece of a puzzle that has been missing all these years and suddenly it's right in front of me. When I push open the door to my home, I see my father sitting at his piano. So many thoughts fly through my mind, mainly anger. He's kept such a secret from me, and he sits calmly as if he never lied to me. He keeps playing a chord over and over. I listen for a moment and then say, "Try the E flat above C." I smack my hand over my mouth. Never, in all my life, have I corrected my father. He pauses, but plays the chord. He sighs in relief and then turns around.

"Thank you, sweetheart. I would have stayed up all night trying to find-" He finally sees me. Not my presence, but me. He's on his feet in a second. "Who did this to you?" He grabs my face. I wince at the pressure. "I'll kill them-!"

"I did," I mumble. I can't let Meg get in trouble. She doesn't know what she's doing much less why. "I did it to myself." I look down at the floor, tears pooling in my eyes. "Why would you do that?" He asks, matching my tone. "I don't know," I mumble again. I begin to cry. "I'm sorry papa!" I hug him hard, ignoring the pain in my face. I've never been this close to my father since I was four years old. He hugs me tighter.

"Sorry for what sweetheart?" He asks as quietly as he can. "I'm sorry that I'm not living up to mother!" He flinches and pulls away slightly. I reach for him, but he's backing away quicker than I can keep up. I need him to be there, but he never is. "Who told you-?"

"What was she like? I know she was kind. I know what she's like now, but what was she like then?" I sob, hugging myself hard. "All you ever told me was that she died. We both know that's not true." My father sighs and goes to get some bandages out. Without asking, he picks me up and carries me to my bed. He begins bandaging the worst wounds.

"Your mother..." He sighs again, only he sniffles at the end. "Was as kind and loving as she was beautiful. Everyone always talked about the fair, lovely soprano. Beauty was all anyone ever cared about. She loved that I never said she looked beautiful. I always told her how she was beautiful inside. Truly, she was. She did give me you. But she... she left me for another man." Instantly, I sit up. I gasp in pain and my father gently lays me back down. "Why-" I stop to breathe. "Why would she do that? Didn't she love you?"

"Of course, she did. But fate said it was not meant to be. There were too many problems, mainly from me. All I hope for is to one day tell her I am sorry. That's why I compose for her. My arias. I compose them for her voice." He places the last bandage. "There, done."

"I'd like to sing some arias," I say dreamily. "Or I'd like to see her. Meet her." I yawn out the last part.

"Don't worry. You see her every time you look in the mirror." He kisses my head and starts to walk away. I grab his arm. I feel the need to tell him the truth. "Please, papa. I want to meet her. Let me meet her."

He gently takes his arm out of my grip. "Someday, darling. Get rest. We'll sing tomorrow."

I start to question him, but he sings the lullaby I haven't heard in years and my eyes close against my efforts to keep them open.    

AN: Some of the chapters are really long and some are really short :/ sorry! Please comment and vote, love you guys!